4age help

tytcnt

hey having problems with my 4age,was driving yesterday pulled over and it died,tryed to start it would start for 10sec or get to 1000rpm then die and wont start , can sometimes get it to idle give it some gas and it dies ,i had noticed last week it had a lil miss to it on the odd occassion, i checked the spark plugs they look ok leeds are good,im think maybe rotor or dizzy cap ?? any other things???

Sounds like a lack of fuel to me, check pump voltage and pull off fuel return and see how much flow you have got.

Might pay to check fuel filter too.

Afm and map failure should allow it to start fine and then idle like crap, more throttle will generally make it run (slightly better) the symptoms lead me down the path of the fuel system having a bug.

AFM would cause it to die at anything after idle, as it doesn't realize it needs to add more fuel. So will have similar symptoms.

Flatmate reckons the TPS is the most likely culprit.

I have done this on my evo to prime up the new turbo, sure it doesn't idle pretty but a partly cracked throttle will make it run..

VERY unlikely injectors are blocked enough to cause.

What else have you done to the car lately?

could be a dodgy water temp sensor, the green one on the back of the head.

unplug it and start it to see if it makes any difference. if it runs even worse with it unplugged, it must still be working.

try unplugging the TPS too, if it makes no difference to how it runs it's probably stuffed.

If you try to add throttle with the TPS disconnected it won't be able to sense the position of the butterfly and will just die.

So with the TPS connected it will only idle for 10secs, and with it disconnected it's idling fine? If so, get a multimeter and check the sensor.

www.club4ag.com - go to the technical reference section for info. Make sure you look at JDM specs not USDM ones.

Yowzer - 4AGE 16v's are all MAP in NZ, the only ones with AFM are bigport GZE's.

hey done everything that you guys have told me to , its got good spark , got fuel, took rail off and injectors they all had fuel,checked timing that was good, i think ill have to find a new tps now it looks to be that way.anyone have one i could buy off them?

thanks for all the help :)