How to keep bare metal looking schmick.

crustywhip

We have a 47 ford coupe that was taken back to metal 20 years ago.

Its still the same and in pretty good condition. Its still all steel and was wondering what we can put on it to keep it shiny? Pretty much want to leave it all complete and looking good until I start earning some big money and start it. Its complete plus extras.

Any advice on products etc would be helpful.

Cheers Kane

por 15 metal ready, or some other phosphoric acid/zinc type treatment works well if stored in a dry shed. I've treated all the bare metal on my 131 with metal ready and parts that have been bare for over a year have not rusted at all. Or go buy a 20 pack of fish oil from supercheap, its just a prick to clean off when it come to paint it though.

I had it dry stored for years and the metal didnt change at all. Its since been moved and gets surface rust even though the place doesnt feel damp. Will look into the GIBBS and POR15 range. Fish oil reminds me of some one so dont really want to use it. Will see how it turns out and get some pics up.

Cheers Kane

i was useing GIBBS mega penetrant on my ute which is in bare metal but since it live's outside it would still rust in patches were it had rubed off ect,im now useing the super cheep Australian Export brand clear coat which has worked mint (so far) it also wash's off easy as with thinners so when im finnished ill clean it all off and do a freash coat.

Company Altex does a marine protectant coating called RIPO.1 or 4 liter tins.

Toxic- lots of Xylene, so you know it's good.

goes on really thin,so it creeps between crack and panels. It's clear-ish,does harden up eventually, won't wash off in the rain, seals up seriously rusty bits and keeps bare metal perfectly fresh. mmm-mmm.

I'm pretty sure you can paint over it too when the time comes.

Company Altex does a marine protectant coating called RIPO.1 or 4 liter tins.

Toxic- lots of Xylene, so you know it's good.

goes on really thin,so it creeps between crack and panels. It's clear-ish,does harden up eventually, won't wash off in the rain, seals up seriously rusty bits and keeps bare metal perfectly fresh. mmm-mmm.

I'm pretty sure you can paint over it too when the time comes.

Saweet. I reckon with all the different products I could maybe do a panel in each to compare. I watched target today and they tested fetilizers and the size in the radich was noticeabily different.

Any way Il keep you all posted.

Get a wheel going.

What panelbeaters normally do is to slap a coat of primer over it after giving it the rust killer treatment. Even primer is porous so the safest way is to slap a coat of topcoat over primer to seal it. Once that's done you can go around the panels one at a time to finish off, then redo the paint.

At least that's what I've been told by a panelbeater/bodybuilder/metalfinisher mate who's been doing it for 30 odd years. Never leave them in bare metal, maybe OK for an old ford but an old japper would disappear.

Steve

i accidental brought a CRC aerosol can today that i thought was black primer / sound deadener for behind doors etc but it was yellow ish oil looking stuff and would be mint for your application IMO will get full name tomorrow if keen?

Yeah keen as. Want to try different panels in different products or even use some on another one of the whanau wakas.

• 4 weeks later...