Installing a copper head gasket

zep

Hey guys...

I'm gonna give my copper head gasket a go, but need some instruction as to the best way to make sure it's on properly and is not going to give me a headache!! Who has done this and can give me some advice?

Also,

the gasket I have is a for a 1600, but since my engine is bored out, it might hang over the bores a teeny bit. If at TDC the pistons are still below the deck (albiet by sheer millimeters), is this okay to use, or should I get the 2 litre gasket? I know I could not do this with a regular monotorque gasket as they have the little metal bit around the bores, but I assume that as long as the over hang is ok, this should be sweet with a copper gasket...

Cheers

Put it on the block scribe the larger bore onto the gasket, then using your favorite die grinder attachment cut to shape. Be carefull not to bend it, and tidy it up with sand paper. Seen this done a few times no worries.

Don't have much to say on installation, I was told most fail due to the surfaces not being smooth enough. As it doesnt crush and fill small voids like a normal viton coated multi layer steel gasket. Do your o-rings still sit proud of the bore? they are needed to bite into the copper and provide a good seal

Zep - not ertain what motor this is for but are you using a laminated copper gasket with a metal fire ring?

If you need to accurately locate your copper HG then a wee bit of sellotape at each end of the gasket will hold it to the block. This will not affect your seal as it pretty much melts away as soon as the engine is hot (true story).

A copper HG will need to be re-torqued..... actually ALL HGs should be re-torqued - regardless of what the packet says. Re-torque hot and often (it can't hurt).

Ensure both the block and head are prefectly clean. Use solvents and a low lint rag.

Any part of the HG fire ring in the combustion chamber is asking for trouble. If the gasket doesn't blow it will most likely cause pre-detonation. It is extremely important to check the gasket against the block AND the head (especially if the chambers have been worked).

No one ever lays the HG down onto the upside down head to check shit before they fit it. Everyone just looks at the block (OK - not everyone but lotsa guys).

I am not sure about fire ring modifications. I have never done that and TBH wouldn't try it on one of my race motors.

EDIT: What's this Spence is asking about O rings? Have you O ringed the block? I guess not or you probably wouldnt be using a HG/dunno

yea hes got a o-ringd block....

i wouldn't want anyoverhang, as said above, chances of detanation are too high

is it a brand new gasket? or s/h? if its s/h i would think you will need to anneal it before use,(at least thats what i used to do with my copper inlet/ex gaskets