TGB's KX125 ring ding ding

thegreatestben

Haven't had a dirtbike before, guys I work with have quad bikes. I can't really afford one of them at the moment so when undetectible on here put his KX125 up for sale I bought the shit out of it.

Looked like this kind of when I bought but in a few pieces

sany0043w.jpg

Now looks more like this:

e913cf63f66b4f7d801c35aa1a84b466.jpg

Have replaced rear wheel bearings, headstock bearings. Got a new piston, they forgot to include a ring though :x

Bought a 2nd bike in parts, gonna look into having that frame stripped and powder coated.

Colour choices include black and white, or maybe the later kawasaki green.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine reassembled again today.

Ended up using a lot of bits off've the spares bike. The original barrel had been sleeved and used an over sized piston, the power valves had also snapped a shaft.

The spares bike kindly donated an original condition complete top end, so I just used a standard (less expensive) piston kit.

I port matched the barrel to the base gasket too, bought a die grinder and was told to buy a carbide bit to use, $40! lucky my brother works at bunnings so it was only $11 instead :D

Also checked the clutch, the original had worn out the clutch basket pretty badly, looked like the sides were combs haha.

Again the spares bike yielded a much better condition clutch assembly, also appeared that it had been assembled wrong as there were some washers where there shouldn't have been washers.

You can find factory diagrams on the net fairly easily, these came in very useful when putting the clutch together.

The spares bike also came with a set of carbon fiber reed valves 8) Obviously these have found their way into the engine

I've also had the spare bikes frame stripped and powder coated gloss black, spent tonight uncovering all the threaded bits and running taps down them so it all goes together smoothly when I assemble the bike.

Here's some pics:

d027eb1a0c3a474292bcf50ce792f8da.jpg

54528ca6e65b4de99962ac2df11763b6.jpg

093839189d6f41b296c3cbdb22460f9b.jpg