Legality of wheel spacers?

ThePog

I am trying to find some 14/15" rims for the fiat but it has a stupid 4x98mm pattern.

The offset of the standard 5x13 rims is 27mm, and I have found this awesome wee calculator;

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Now obviously the best selection of rims for me will be found with a FWD offset 4x100 jappa rim, so what are the legalities of using wheel spacers? The older Fiats all have a 5mm spacer anyway, and use studs rather than nuts so actually sorting some bolt up ones with studs shouldn't be too much of a drama, but i don't want to have to fuck around with certification etc....

Opinions?

Opinions that do not include wobble bolts that is.

What do you want the spacers to achieve? change offset or change stud pattern from 4x98 to 4x100? If the latter you will need 15mm-25mm pacers in order for them to accomodate the necessary nuts.

Also need to be aware of what you are buying into. They need to have and centric ring, and need to be certed.

Or just get the file stuck into the holes on the 4x100 wheels

Its a lot of cost to get only 1mm on each stud. I wouldn't recommend slotting holes on rims, but one thing I have looked into is wobble bolts. Perhaps something similar might be available as a nut or even a washer? Worth looking into.

I'm all for dodgy :D don't get me wrong. But there was a well repeated story afew years back about the guy whose wheel came off and killed a young girl. True story it is, but what may not be true is why it occured. I've been told that it was a Mazda with a locked diff, and was running 4x108 rims on it. It was probably fine for a couple of years before hand too.

Also, my mate sold me some 4x98 spaces and assured me they'd be fine. As I was putting them on you could see the studs pulling in as you tightened them. I think thats pretty dodgy.

As I say, each to their own, but I wouldn't recommend doing it.

yeah getting rims can be tricky. you can get late model 15's off puntos/stilos/bravos, the offset is a bit more for fwd but you sould only need a spacer rather than an adaptor.

The wobble bolts are ok as long as the rims center on the hubs (may need some rings made up to center the wheels if they are for a larger hub.

you want 14 or 15 - how wide? what style do you prefer?

And stop this wobble bolt nonsense, call me a boring old cunt but I will never be happy giving it the full beans around ruapuna with a sub optimal wheel attachment system.

Either way, no one has actually voiced an opinion as to whether spacers under any non certified circumstances are legal...?

Surely someone has tried to get something like this through the WOF...

wobble bolts are not bad really, have you seen how they work? its just a floating cone washer, the bolt is the same strength as a standard bolt.

PCD adaptors definitely require a cert as any non OE wheel spacer wider than 5mm requires a cert.

What about 130TC wheels? I think those are 14" and 20something mm offset?

I've got a set of thema turbo wheels lying around but they are not very round and need straightening by arrow wheels or someone like that.

These boys?

130.jpg

I looked at some of these - they have a seriously big offset and weigh literally twice as much as the rims on the car.

What I really want is some 14" 124 cromodoras, but they are hard to find and expensive when you do...

These boys?

130.jpg

I looked at some of these - they have a seriously big offset and weigh literally twice as much as the rims on the car.

What I really want is some 14" 124 cromodoras, but they are hard to find and expensive when you do...

Yeah those. 124 cromodoras are all 13's im pretty sure, apart from maybe some of the abarth ones that had 15's which are infinitely even more rare.

For wheel spacers you definitely need a cert, or you could change back for every wof if you really wanted to be cheap.

You'd be looking around $300 for a set, unless you know something with some chunks of alloy and a lathe.

Cert is generally around the $400 mark.

And they now need to be huncentric (tight on the wheel hub and the wheel needs to be centred and tight on the spacer hub) and also fixed to the hub. Even the smallest of spacers, 3mm for example need to be fixed.

So thats around $700 or wobble bolts are $150 at the most and they really aren't dodgy. Have a look at how they work.

They effectively have offset washers so that the bolt and load on the bolt, is always central.

thumb_pcd-bolt-2.JPG

Ah well, I guess i will actually have to join the Canterbury Fiat Lancia club and put an ad in the newsletter, someone will have something suitable squirreled away.... it is just that they can be strange boys at times and I have been avoiding the inevitable...

Or just go with the wobble bolts, but it doesn't feel right to me.....

Yes I know Nick from years back when I used to gasaxe bits off his wrecked 124's to weld up the rust holes in my Silver CC....

I have been whining at him to give me the 15" croma rims off his 124 for a while now but he is just not breaking down.

We were out at his uncles place in Loburn a couple of weekends ago, sifting around for some wheels and brakes, but a lot of the Italian stuff is gone from there now. Still good fun looking.

Was awesome entertainment actually, Nick took his 850 Sport Abarth which has a 1400/1600 twin cam in it, and we played silly buggers all the way there and back, amazing how many cars you can pass in one go on the John's road roundabouts if you are determined to impress a fellow petrol head....