Who makes new 3peice bands in Wellington? Apart from Bateman

Gaz

Someone on here told me of an alternative to Bateman race cars for making new outer shells for 3 piece rims. In Welly.

Am looking at getting some done in 2 weeks and Batemens cost is $240 each rim which includes polishing.

The other person mentioned was $130 each rims so way cheaper. I have tried ringing around other engineering shops but no luck so far.

Gaz

Rang him earlier and he only does em for the 4wd boys. Diff process I believe.

Also rang Basil or some shit and turns out he does em to. But he only does em for Batemen race cars.

Currently waiting for an email back from Arrow to see what their price is. $1000 for dish is alot of $$$ but when the rims are for the Vauxhal and are 4x100 I dont have much choice. Guess its just the same as buying new rims really, well, cheaper!

Gaz

Yeah it's still worthwhile doing IMO. Isn't cheap but often the centres that you have will be WAY cooler than anything new on the market.... And a set of something half decent like DTM Banzai's are $1200ish for a set of 15x8 +-0 wheels. Works out for the best in the end I think.

How much does Bateman charge? I want to get wider bands for my simmons eventually.... but only outers (which are small) and I hear he charges the same for any width band?

The first time I talked to him he gave me a quote for bands without asking the sizes. This time he asked sizes.

So $240 per band including polishing it. That was for a 14" 3-4inch dish band.

He can also part welded wheels for a bit more but didn't say how much more.

He mentioned 14 being a weird size and if I was doing more it would be cheaper/setup times.

Widen vs new

=

Second hand gay dish 3peice rims = $300-400

Widen outers = $960

Powdercoat centres = $200

New stainless bolts = $100

So basically a new set of rims in perfect offset/width for your use for $1560-$1660 = not really that cheap. Still going to do it, no choice! :twisted:

Gaz

I believe he would. I can ask but really don't think enough be people would be keen right now, but, prove me wrong!

I want the car rolling for summer so am planning on getting them widened in bout 3-4weeks time. As soon as I fin uni, 2 weeks, I am going to measure up and drop them to him.

Gaz

Who was this other joker mentioned that did them for $130?

I'm keen as a bean to get 2 done for 15s...

Yeah bro thats the one Im after. I also member it being mentioned but cant find old post.

Have contacted Howart but they = nah

Have a look around for CNC metal spinners? Unsure of the heat treating the shells go through once they are spun though.

Cheers bro will follow up tomorrow... Is metal spinning just lathe work? I.e they would start with a big chunk of alloy? Wouldn't that be mega heapsa $$$?

Gaz

basil is the man i chased about for it,

the other option is finding a set of 4wd bands your centres fit in and machining to fit as i did,

cost $1200 to do my superlights including the two sets of wheels,

looking into another set but waiting on some progress on car to be fitted to first