Overwhelmed and about to start a project

Bigfun

Hi everyone.. long time lurker here.

Bought a 76 mini couple months back. Wanting to start getting it rust free. Only problem I think is that it is my commuter as well. Is it realistic for me to start grinding away finding rust while still needing it every day to get to work?

Also, I have never done anything like this before... but I just love my mini and want to get it looking nice. THought I would start grinding underneath, then work my way along the fenders and such. After grinding paint away where I think the rust is, hit it with some primer and carry on.... This sound about right?

Any help suggestions etc would be appreciated for this first time noob.. thanks heaps

having tried doing this with my 910 i would say dont bother mang .. its alwasy a rush to get it ready for the next day and you end up doing the job shit .

just drive it till you can get a daily and then park up and take the time to do things properly .

Well after some thought about the responses here.. thought I would be better off maybe getting a pushbike for the summer and putting it up in my garage. Thing is I have never done this before. You guys have such great info.. thanks for the tips thus far.

Question:

Is it worth stripping down and getting it bead blasted? Then getting in there where it needs bog, rust repair etc? My main goal would be to get the car rust free (best I can .. not looking for showroom quality really) and sealed so I can drive it over winter and finish it off then. I do have 3 kids so time isn't necessarily on my side.. I do enjoy seeing them grow up :)

IMO it sounds to me for your situation a complete stripdown wouldn't be ideal, you will find allot of hidden rust and it could become a massive job very quickly. Getting all the panels straight again also.

I would just repair areas that are obvious have rust and give her a light strip down and fresh spray.

that way you can control how far you take it were as if you completely bare metal the car you may be dealing with swiss cheese and suddenly be in the deep end and facing a two year + project

• 2 weeks later...

It my experience, (which is big), it's always best to start with something that someone else has worked on. That said, project cars are best accompanied with a nice, modern, cheap, small, run around car (or ute). Mini's are cool, being small cars, the project is a bit smaller too. Zinc primer is the way to go, but you want the one that kills rust too, because steel starts rusting again about 30 seconds after you clean the paint off it.

Welding, is an art. It's best practiced cant recommend enough taking classes.

TIP: gladwrap is your friend. remove a part, gladwrap it, and then mark it.

TIP: buy 200 zip lock plastic bags, take a bolt off, write on the bag with a vivid and never mis-place nut again !

TIP: buy cutting wheels in lots of 25 and always get the 1mm ones, it's cheaper.

TIP: the $10 flap sanding wheels are the shit.

TIP: always buy cheap grinders, the cheaper the better, metal work (dust) wreaks them faster than anything else.

TIP: Safety first, injuries slow progress, and de-motivate you (cant work on car from hospital or a grave)

That said, I recommend stripping the car, taking photos as you go, bagging and tagging the bolts as you go, wrapping everything in gladwrap (get the 600 meter rolls). then, once it's down to a bare shell, weld up a rolling frame for it. Then have it acid dipped, and coated in epoxy resin. From there you can really do a good job.

I would think summer is the ideal time to take it off the road, plus it's likely you won't have it on the road till next summer anyway

Weather is better, so you can ride your bike in relative comfort.

More hours of light to work on the car

Climate better suited to the likes of painting

It's a mini and your daily, not some cruiser

Good work on the mini purchase, nice and easy to work on and real real easy to get parts for for cheap. Where are you based? Check out my thread and ask as many questions on here as you need. There are quite a few people on here that have built up minis.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6320&start=0

I bought parts and panels from Minibitz - www.minibitz.co.nz and Swift Automotive, Chch.

Anyway, start a project thread with lots of photos so we can see what you have to start with.

Nick