Has the Rear seal in my Gear box gone? or something else?!!!

Horse25

I cant fill up my gearbox from the side as my tunnel hasnt been modified at all and i cant reach it, so i was told i can fill it up via the gearstick but takes fucking ages, so i jacked the back of the car up, with drive shaft etc refitted, then started filling, then i came back tonight and found a huge fucking oil puddle everywhere under my car and it had been leaking out the rear where the drive shaft enters, so is it the rear seal or the way i have gone about things? its a T9 gearbox,

if it is the seal is it possible to change, with the gearbox in the car, because i really don't want to take the cunt out again!

Any help would be much appreciated!

I cant fill up my gearbox from the side as my tunnel hasnt been modified so i jacked the back of the car up, with drive shaft etc refitted, then started filling, then i came back tonight and found a huge fucking oil puddle everywhere under my car and it had been leaking out the rear where the drive shaft enters, so its a T9 gearbox,

!

I assume you are talking about a single rail, 5 speed Ford gearbox.

If so the first question is: Did it leak before hand or have you never had oil in it?

The next question is: Have you driven the car (or whatever it is as you have not told us much) prior to this issue> I ask as it is possible that the driveshaft nose it the incorrect size.

The Ford Type 9 is not well suited for filling from the gearlever hole but if currently have no choice then I suggest drilling an access hole in your transmission tunnel and blanking it off with a rubber grommet.

If the rear mainshaft seal is damaged it can be replaced without removing the gearbox.

I suggest drilling an access hole in your transmission tunnel and blanking it off with a rubber grommet.

If the rear mainshaft seal is damaged it can be replaced without removing the gearbox.

This makes shit way easier. Best idea in this thread.

you havent overfilled it have you?? , ive done that and it pissed oil out/ only a little bit but oil makes a massive mess .

the gearbox seal is only designed to really stop splashes of oil getting out , not hold back full on type thing.

overfill the diff and i just about gaurentee the hub seals will leak :lol:

I cant fill up my gearbox from the side as my tunnel hasnt been modified so i jacked the back of the car up, with drive shaft etc refitted, then started filling, then i came back tonight and found a huge fucking oil puddle everywhere under my car and it had been leaking out the rear where the drive shaft enters, so its a T9 gearbox,

!

I assume you are talking about a single rail, 5 speed Ford gearbox.

If so the first question is: Did it leak before hand or have you never had oil in it?

The next question is: Have you driven the car (or whatever it is as you have not told us much) prior to this issue> I ask as it is possible that the driveshaft nose it the incorrect size.

The Ford Type 9 is not well suited for filling from the gearlever hole but if currently have no choice then I suggest drilling an access hole in your transmission tunnel and blanking it off with a rubber grommet.

hey, thanks for the help,

yes its the single rail, just had the engine in and out, so i would of stuffed the seal, which i though was something major, but not so, thank fuck,

was talking to dan(D.P.N.S) who took for me for a drive in the van which was is fucking awesome, Cheers again! going to try fill it up from the filler with an aircompressor set up,

had another look and there is plenty of room, so i rangid up this

bgbkag.jpg

damn i got raped! mine was like $8.50! :shock:

get a yell if you need a hand boe. i need to look at something less yellow and less complicated than my car

almost done with this one, but the one thats going to go in the van is yellow, might give you a holla then!

Horse25 - it looks like you have one of Ford's special non draining gearboxes (i.e. no drain bung). They were a shit idea and the savings Ford made are well exhausted by my hatred of such a ridiculous cost cutting measure.

For about $35 you can get a Groz Syringe from Repco. That will make your life a whole heap better, especially when you go to drain your diff and you find that it doesn't have a drain bung either.

The Groz is great for filling diffs and gearboxes too

Horse25 - it looks like you have one of Ford's special non draining gearboxes (i.e. no drain bung). They were a shit idea and the savings Ford made are well exhausted by my hatred of such a ridiculous cost cutting measure.

For about $35 you can get a Groz Syringe from Repco. That will make your life a whole heap better, especially when you go to drain your diff and you find that it doesn't have a drain bung either.

The Groz is great for filling diffs and gearboxes too

awesome ill look into, thanks heaps for the help guys!

bought a rear seal $9 from super cheap, hopefully get it going tomorrow night! then nana it for 1000km >.<

• 3 weeks later...