Engine help needed

Bombsquad

Hoping someone on here might be able to help me out before i end up going insane...

The car i need help with is an 86 rwd 323 wagon. 1300cc piston motor.

The car was originally a 1500 however that motor lost compression so has been replaced with a good 1300.

Heres the problem...

The engine is fitted and cranks over fine, has good compession and vacume through the carb.

Its getting fuel fine.

It has good spark at the plugs however its backfiring (fuel vapour, not a flame etc) up through the carby,

Ive checked the timing, seeing i thought it must be firing on the upward stroke in order for backfires to occur, but timing seems perfect :?

Ive checked the firing order of the leads like a million times and they are correct

Anyone wanna help get this thing going??

have you checked that piston 1 is at the top when dizzy number 1 lead lines up? by taking out spark plug 1 hand turning and waiting till just before it sucks your finger, and then lining up the dizzy contact point to spark plug 1. If its not just undo the 2 bolts on the dizzy pull it out a bit and twist it round till the cog slides in and lines up firing point 1. Or crank the engine and see which way the rotor turns just to make sure the cap is spinning the same way as your firing order. I had the same thing when i got my 1300 323 motor i pulled of the head and found that oil around the pistons looked like varnish and there was about 2 cup fulls of water sitting in there not draining away.

Its surely gotta be something to do with the timing??? ive tried to carbs of running motors and neither makes any difference.

The next plan of attack is to pull of all the leads from the plugs and put them back on one at a time and try to start it each time, which might in theroy prove which plug is causing the backfire through that carby???

I'm sure I put a post up here before about this but it seems to have gone...

I would initially check your TDC is correct - remove rocker cover - turn engine over till TDC lines up on the pulley and then check that both rockers have clearance on top of the valve on number one cylinder. (if not - turn engine over 360 degrees and check valve clearances again) After this, check your rotor lines up to the number 1 HT lead on the cap

Next check your firing order again - make sure that the firing is in the correct order relative to the distributor rotation, correct firing order is 1-3-4-2 - it could be clockwise or anticlockwise - have someone turn the engine over with the distributor cap off and watch for which is the correct direction.

Lastly set the static timing - it should be set to 5 degrees BTDC (to be safe)

If all these are fine - check your tappet clearances..

If tappets are fine - you are going to need someone to go a bit more in depth and would be too involved to diagnose over the net...