• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CIMG0091-2.jpg

coming together nicely... a couple of small issues to sort... the stock engine tensioner spring will not work. An after market one will have to be ordered and used. I. And the nut that came with the cdi is the wrong type (left hand thread instead of standard)

• 2 months later...

P1050586.jpg

Engine now in the frame (had to swap in the old head (which needed a 10mm long reach socket to remove))

To do:

Extend pedal shaft so pedal can clear exhaust (note pedal missing in photo for measuring)

Fit CDI magic box, the instructions are in french/italian, so am afraid of blowing it up

Find Bowden (I think thats what they're called) ends for my throttle and choke cable

Tweak exhaust hanger (less urgent, but should be done for tidiness)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

had a fair bit of work done on this lately - enough so that I got to take it for the first ride in quite a while...

P1050592.jpg

ignore the CDI on the outside of the cover, will mount it to the inside once I get some stainless mushroom head screws. Sadly there were no existing holes I could use, but I figure if I ever embark on a full resto. this will be the easiest spot to repair.

P1050593.jpg

new rims and tires. Spotted a rust bubble on my old rims, that when poked with a screwdrive formed a hole. So a rough measure up indicated a 24 inch BMX rim was only fractionally larger than the 19 inch m/bike. These are temporary tires until I can find some 24x2 BMX tires I like, did try some hookworms on but these are only available in a 2.5 width, which just doesnt fit.

P1050595.jpg

because of the expansion chamber, my pedals wouldnt work. So I had to get this extension shaft machined up, turns out getting multiple cotter pin angles to line up is a little tricky, but my engineer (Bruno from cycle-xpress) did a great job.

Have spent a couple of hours riding it today, goes much harder than it used to, very rough estimate is I have had it up to 60kph with a fair bit left.

Things to do:

get some brakes

hook up lighting regulator (and lights)

get 24x2 tires (any suggestions?)

get 24x2 tires (any suggestions?)

Mt vote goes to DMR moto rt's i've got a set of 2.4's on my hackabout bike, pretty sweet grip and roll real fast, you can only get em 2.2 or 2.4 though, FWIW my 2.4's are more like 2.2's in any other brand.

The other one worth a look is the DMR transition, awesome looking tread (or lack thereof) available in 1.9 too, haven't used them, but looking at them they probably roll even faster than the moto rt's

• 2 weeks later...