Why am I getting a lot of oil vapour?

zep

I've been noticing that I get a hell of a lot of oil vapour coming out my catch can's breather. Like, on a cold day I can see it coming out of under the bonnet!!

I don't know much about this, but could it be that the oil is too hot from being passed through the turbo? I am yet to add an oil cooler to my setup.

The engine runs beautifully, otherwise.

Cheers

Check whether your PCV valve is operating correctly. They are pretty cheap to replace so I'd just do it anyway.

Also, is the breather on the catchcan actually breathing or is it partially obstructed by oil allowing a buildup of pressure?

still do it when the engine is fully warmed up? condensation boiling off maybe? i know some (refuse to slate awesome bike manufacturer) bikes (repeated experience at work) used to suffer with condensation in the engine quite alot leading to false head gasket alarms/wanting full refund on new bike

obviously they had no open breathers to blow steams

i should shut up now as i clearly dont know what im talking about

still do it when the engine is fully warmed up? condensation boiling off maybe? i know some (refuse to slate awesome bike manufacturer) bikes (repeated experience at work) used to suffer with condensation in the engine quite alot leading to false head gasket alarms/wanting full refund on new bike

obviously they had no open breathers to blow steams

i should shut up now as i clearly dont know what im talking about

Hrm, I was noticing it tis morning (cold morning) about 3 mins after I turns on the car, so defintely not warmed up. But I don't remember noticing it as bad once I had been driving for a bit... although I never had to stop after I saw it. Will have to check that out.

Have you looked inside the can to see if it's holding any cream or water? Had this happen when running in an engine once and the vapour turned into a water/oil mix inside the small catch tank I had. Mine made visible vapour like you're describing but it also overheated = epic fuckout.

Personally I would say it's normal for a catch can setup to breathe a mist of oil vapour and moisture, seeing as that is the point of crankcase ventilation? The vapour normally wouldn't be seen because in most unmodified engines it is being reintroduced to the intake manifold to be burned by the engine. I would be more concerned if your dipstick started blowing out of it's own accord.

Personally I would say it's normal for a catch can setup to breathe a mist of oil vapour and moisture, seeing as that is the point of crankcase ventilation? The vapour normally wouldn't be seen because in most unmodified engines it is being reintroduced to the intake manifold to be burned by the engine. I would be more concerned if your dipstick started blowing out of it's own accord.

As far as I'm aware, the dipstick is staying firmly in place.

But I'll check for creamy build ups, frothy water, water in the catch can, etc.

Is it worth me trying to route the breather back into the intake?

it could work

the pug stunk like fuck with catchcan and breathed quite heavily, for what i thought was aceptable. even popped dipstick out on trackdays when pushing VERY hard. didn't use any oil between changes though.

If you don't use the car for many long runs, or leave it dormant for a while between times of use then you'll find water in the catch can, esp if it's an alloy blocked engine.

I could leave my pug for a month then drive it to wellington only to find a 1 litre catch can about 1-% full of water. it didn't use a drop of water either. jsut condensation.

Hrm, that's pretty relieving to hear. I drive the gem about once a fortnight at the most so the water in the catch can could be happening. Still need to check all this stuff out. Hopefully will get some time soon, 'tis always dark when I'm home!

I've yet to see a catch can on a car with PCV system hooked up correctly.

There's supposed to be a flow of air through the crankcase from the outside air to a vacuum source.

Without that the oil gets contaminated with water, unburnt fuel and acids.

Chances are it's wrong.

As with all turbo motors , if you pull the plugs, put them in a row, check for oil on the threads.... that's the only clue you need to show it's got a broken piston.

If the plugs are clean, you've got a good motor.

Unless as above you've blown the headgasket, you'll know because you'll have needed to replace popped hoses, or radiator, or heater.

Steve

my car also breathes quite heavily aswell

catch can (water bottle :lol:) is slowly filling up

but car is driven very infrequently and never uses water so like im not too worried

i dont get any obvious vapour out under the bonnet tho

have heard numerous stories of people hooking cans up and the cars smoking heavily tho and returning the setup to stock and the problem disappearing for what its worth, tis exhaust smoke tho as opposed to underbonnet

I've yet to see a catch can on a car with PCV system hooked up correctly.

There's supposed to be a flow of air through the crankcase from the outside air to a vacuum source.

Without that the oil gets contaminated with water, unburnt fuel and acids.

Steve

Quoted for truth (+ post #666 :evil: )

The flow of air through the PCV is factored into the metered airflow in most fuel injection systems, much like plumbed-back blow-off valves and as such if you remove it a/f ratios get out of wack.