Intake port nozzle thingee

cute wee gem

What exactly is this? basically there is one in each intake port and they run through a tube to the intake before the TB. Keen on ditching these asap

intakeport2161.jpg

Also, if I get them out, can I weld them up myself or will normal ali filler rod not work too well with the head?

Definitely didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when taking rocker gear off. I'll have to have a decent look at the inlet manifold as to if there is any valves in the line. Ze engine is turbo is that helps any. I think you could be on the right track though sir smelliot.

Went to start porting today but noticed these horrible protrusions so I just had a quick maz instead.

"The 4ZC1 engine has a hose that runs from in front of the throttle body to the intake manifold right next to where it bolts to the cylinder head. This is kind of interesting, the 4ZC1 has a passage in the intake manifold/cylinder head mating surface that feeds air into little pipes that extend into the cylinder head intake ports right at the valves, probably to modify the airflow characteristics under boost. The 4ZE1 does not have this passage, you just have to plug off that air hose."

All I can find is guesses. So I may just take them out, now someone answer my welding question :D

I don't know what the pipe is for as it is probably metric but I wouldn't touch it with a welder.

I would tap the hole and locktite/glue in a threaded plug and then grind it smooth if you are desperate to remove them.

Alternatively leave them intact and connected as the factory intended

any good idea/benefits of blocking/smoothing off the injector cutouts on a 4g63 head?

ps. sorry for hijacking

lol no place for injectors, jokes u obvisously hav other plans for fuel.

1.2.3.4 carburetters hangin off the side PLZ

but would i have and gains from filling said holes up with resin? and smothing out or just slam some caps over the holes and be done with it

Tom, can you just knock the pipes out and weld up the alloy holes that remain and then smooth them out? I would think that would be worth it in the long run. I can't think of a reason why having air at/near atmospheric pressure in the intake ports would be a good thing but I'm sure someone thats smarter than me could point out possible reasons. Perhaps just an emissions thing?

but would i have and gains from filling said holes up with resin? and smothing out or just slam some caps over the holes and be done with it

I've thought about this before also. I would think that the void that you would have with a carburetor type manifold on there would create some losses. The injector area is only left there from the factory to save money on head casting so that they can run efi or carbs without having different heads so removing it won't lose anything, the only question is will it actually show any gains in removing it?

I tried hitting a nozzle out last night with a punch but didn't want to hit it too hard in case I smashed it up.

It would be a bit silly being there if it was at atmospheric pressure, it wouldn't even work unless it had a pump of some sort, probably what the turbo hanging off the other side is for. :wink:

I just need to make my mind up whether I want to get rid of it before I put the head on finally, saves buying a new head gasket. Got a spare fucked Toyota head here I might try and weld for a practice run. I'll cry if it ruins the actual head I'm working on though.

Brazing won't get rid of the indent in the alloy though, I just wanted to make it completely smooth as if it was never there. Epoxy might be the best option, or get someone to weld it and fill it properly for me to grind smooth.

At this stage it looks as though I'll just leave them, had a go at porting this head today and my micro grinder can get around it pretty easy, plus I don't think it will effect flow much at all as it's parallel with the air stream if that makes sence. My amateur porting is probably screwing it all up anyway :lol:

Might have a play when it's all up and running, run it un-blocked and see what difference there is.