Blondies 89 Cabriolet

blondie

I will post my not oldschool enough convertible project here!

cabriolet.jpg

Me and my hubby crazytim got her from a friend in a horrible state in 2006. The vinyl exterior hood was completely stuffed witha lot of duct tape doing... not much! It had horrible steel rims, a big rusty gouge in the bonnet, missing wing mirror, missing grill, absolutely filthy in and out... but hey not bad for $700!

After selling our Mazda MS8 the money went straight into a new hood @ $1200. A good investment. We had already stripped out the interior and cleaned all the plastic trims, as well pulling the body plugs then scrubbing and hosing the floor pan out. We then treated the minimal surface rust and hosed out the carpet... the water was dark brown coming out of it!

After swapping bonnet for spare from tims 1st mazda, grill also, wingmirror off his 2nd Mazda, (which was originally on his 1st mazda)and Mags from his old Mazdas (same rims been on all 3...) we then gave her a good cut and polish and she now looks pretty tidy, few scratches and chips in paint but this is to be covered up soon by a vinyl camoflage cover up wrap... (watch this space, sounds lame now I read it but should be pretty cool, theres a bit of a twist involved...and sorry boys itll be a bit girly, but I'm allowed to!)

I also currently have the door cards out to re-trim the inserts which come out of the main card... not 100% sure how I am going to do this yet... this is where research on olschool.co.nz comes in!

She is pretty standard and unmolested other than a couple of dodgy head unit installs which is good, and other than the odd puff of smoke runs well and hasn't failed... actually has just once... oops!

More as we get cracking!

that sounds heinous... whats wrong with the rims... looked sweet on my first two familias! Don't listen to these cunts bub, you do watcha wanna do! lol

I'm guessing with the tri spokes and the fluro pink splashes you'd have her dig out a Kosmik tracksuit to complete the ensemble hahaha... and one more thing for the authentic 80s look... GET A PERM!

• 3 months later...

Me and Blondie finally started getting this old bitch ready for the road... door cards have been out for months waiting retrim of their inserts so Blondie went down to Spotlight and got 1.5m of White Vinyl leatherette.

I was a bit like ...'Could have got away with a metre...' Tite cunt that I am but ended up with enough to cover the spare dash pad that I had from my 1st Mazda Dohc turbs from near on 10yrs ago...

So spent today retrimming that, just contact adhesive straight over the crappy stained grey vinyl finish. Just hope this shit lasts...

Looks pretty mint in our opinions, if you have nothing nice to say feel free to go fuck yourselves... we're well proud of our 1st interior trimming attempts!

cabrioletdoorcards009.jpg

cabrioletdoorcards010.jpg

cabrioletdoorcards013.jpg

cabrioletdoorcards020.jpg

cabrioletdoorcards019.jpg

mazdash001.jpg

mazdash004.jpg

mazdash003.jpg

mazdash006.jpg

This car got fucked up by rats in my garage... all cars in barn appear to be sweet. Thye dirty cunts had nested on top of engine and chewed the shit outta the HT leads and the radiator overflow bottle, alarm siren (alarm dont work so meh) and a few other bits...

The biggest worry was the cable they chewed going to the Air Filter... after pulling off insulation tape and examining further found it was just chewed thu sheathing of cable... no copper showing so sweet as.

Found a spare rad overflow tank in my bits and pieces and window washer tank (chewed but not rite thru) Plan is to carefully clean all the crap artound the engine/bay and remove rocker cover, get it dipped and repainted just in a hi temp enamel slam in a new rocker gasket and detail clean engine bay, tidy up reassemble it all with new leads and she'll be ready to run...

Got some plans with the tidy up of the exterior, will get Blondie to post that up when she's ready.

Check out gnarly rat carnage!

showtoons001.jpg

showtoons003.jpg

See the little circles, they are sections of HT lead... crazy how sharp their teeth must be, looks like it twas cut with a knife!

showtoons005.jpg

showtoons006.jpg

They chewed the end of the siren cone near off... cunted!

showtoons007.jpg

Made Radiator overflow bottle look like swiss cheese!

showtoons008.jpg

The air filter cable... no copper showing! Sweeeet!

showtoons009.jpg

Window washer bottle, damaged but not bitten all way thru... have 2 spares tho so will change out

showtoons010.jpg

Result of being a hoarder... just happened to have a spare rad overflow bottle and alarm siren... (he says raising a middle finger to every cunt thats given him shit about all the crap in his shed over the years...)

Dash almost ready for install, few edges etc to finish and a couple more grilles to cut holes for...

timmae009.jpg

Dash before removing crash pad...

timmae021.jpg

After removing crash pad... (if only my Mrs were this filthy!!)

timmae025.jpg

After a bloody good scrub... just waiting on Mrs to finish gluing dash up, could do it myself but better she participate...

timmae035.jpg

Why I'm waiting for dash I'm making a start on tidying up engine bay... gana cut and polish all the grey hazed paintwork up like so...

timmae080.jpg

timmae078.jpg

Working from home today, hoping to take some time to install dash too... reckon it looks pretty mint, few imperfections but it is 1st time....

Still waiting on her to finish gluing up edges... not installed today... :(

Maybe tonite tho...

Spray adhesive wasn't the best, Ados F2 in a tube or can is the go, spread nice and thin. Also a good rub down of the dash before beginning with thinners or at least meths, makes vinyl easier to stick to and gets all the shite off it for max adhesion...

This is 1st time we've done anything like this... recomend if you can obtain a spare to start on, who knows may be good enuff to use or worst case make your mistakes on. Hopefully this fukn lasts or will be fukn spewing... don't see why it won't tho.

Also advised after finishing a heat gun used to stretch around curves... did think of this and even have a heatgun but still I didnt try it.... next time!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

good to know I'm not the only one who hoards Familia parts :wink:

What it actually needs, is a hefty dose of turbo and slam.

pity it's not the factory SOHC turbo model, those were a laugh and a half :D

I remember wrecking one for the engine/gbox/loom once. It was such a deathtrap though, had spent most of its life in NZ @ piha and rust had pretty much eaten away most of the bodywork. But amazingly enough the bootlid and bonnet were untouched, and most of the salvageable unique bits I ended up selling - it's amazing how many Familia cab owners there actually are...

if you ever need any spare front door glass - hit me up, it's all I've got left (apart from the bonnet, which I should probably try and get rid of as well)

http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBas ... RIOLET.htm

good to know I'm not the only one who hoards Familia parts :wink:
What it actually needs, is a hefty dose of turbo and slam.

pity it's not the factory SOHC turbo model, those were a laugh and a half :D

I remember wrecking one for the engine/gbox/loom once. It was such a deathtrap though, had spent most of its life in NZ @ piha and rust had pretty much eaten away most of the bodywork. But amazingly enough the bootlid and bonnet were untouched, and most of the salvageable unique bits I ended up selling - it's amazing how many Familia cab owners there actually are...

if you ever need any spare front door glass - hit me up, it's all I've got left (apart from the bonnet, which I should probably try and get rid of as well)

http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBas ... RIOLET.htm

This is my 3rd familia (gifted to wifey tho) so yeah quite a few bits and pieces lurking... Don't realy need door glass but if your ever in a position where you want it gone will take it... may well sell this and get a 86 DOHC Turbo hatch... been a few on trade me for far too cheap lately, under no dellusions that engines and turbo will need reco at very least but fuck I have always wanted! 1st Mazda was an 88 Sedan which had been bodgily converted to front tug turbs...

Anyway this is actually finally an update. Dashboard is finally 99% bolted in and reassembeld. Couple of bolts/nuts to put on along the bottom and a couple of plastic clips missing, also forgot to put clock wire thru hole before bolting up and lost cable so fuck the clock for now. Doesn't look too bad with the white... will chuck the side air vents I have just given a clean in when they are dry, give dash a spray and wipe and chuck pic's up... better late than never!

Tidy up of exterior next... some of you cunts will love it, I'm bargaining most will hate it but have a pretty unique cheap fix for the tired worn out paint finish, gana be def a chicks car tho! :wink: