Using sidedraft carbs as throttlebodies for an EFI setup?

ProZac

As for alpha N, that's only good as a failsafe for when the AFM craps out.

Another way of looking at it is to look at the factory high performance N/A motors and see what they do. Sure bikes use individual T/Bs probably really because there's no room for a plenum.

How about LPG? (just to be different) Cheaper than petrol, cleaner burning, oil doesn't get dirty so quick,the motor will last nearly for ever, higher octane AND you can get more power out of it if you build the motor right. No computer needed either. Maybe nobody's into it because there's nobody to follow.

Steve

Have a look around, there seems to be quite a few builds that have used alpha-n (and even a blend of alpha-n and speed density) and have it working quite well.

My mates cbr1000 has a huge air box, surely there would be enough room to run a plenum.

I'll change my mind when F1 start using single TBs

As for LPG you're probably right, I actually have no idea about using this sort of setup and haven't even looked into it. Start a business?

alpha n or "tps only" is fine. thats all i run on the kp. doesnt use anymore fuel than your average 4age, even with the big cams.

single throttle setup is cheaper, in more than one way. thats why most factory cars use a single setup

ok forced all very good points in your post and cheers for clarifying your thoughts

This argument is digressing from the topic as obviously he only wants it so his engine will look good/period (this is an oldschool car site) with the benefits of EFI. Now unless a nugget tunes it he should be able to tune it on manifold pressure fine Ive done it with a megasquirt on a silvertop 4age road tune only ran fine.

Now O/T but as for quad throttles surely your not convinced that in all out n/a performance they aren't the best option? you used factory n/a performance cars as an example but you know there all governed by costs and drive-ability. The main reason for them is intake resonance tuning and you get less pulse interference with large cams also on race cars so you can setup outboard injection. Bikes have large plenums on the end of the throttle bodies there is plenty room for a plenum + single throttle a bike has massive cams big 'square' lobes they would run shit off the bottom on a single and loose power up top. They are simply THE way to go on a performance n/a car every serious race class that allows them WILL run them if this doesn't tell you something I don't know what will.

Now I know you were talking about for all around drive-ability etc and you may not have been bagging quads but the bike comment made it seem like you were

Whoa, drama!

Dont really give two fucks if its the absolute best for performance, efficiency, driveability or whatnot. I just want to have fun, building a car I think is cool.

This thread wasent anything to do with this idea being the absolutle bees-knees best of the best solution, just wanted some ideas as to whether it would work at all. The consensus seems to be that, yup, it sure as hell would.

After all that i bought some ae101 4age itb's today because they were cheap cheap. Will play with both though, because its fun, and thats what its all about.

Thanks for the comments.

How about LPG? (just to be different) Cheaper than petrol, cleaner burning, oil doesn't get dirty so quick,the motor will last nearly for ever, higher octane AND you can get more power out of it if you build the motor right. No computer needed either. Maybe nobody's into it because there's nobody to follow.

Steve

please provide conclusive proof

"motor will last nearly forever"

on LPG? i dont fucking think so.

unless you run oil feeders into your carb/fuel injection to lube the valve stems and guides.

seen so many old LPG convos with valve stems and guides completely fucked due to lack of the lube that petrol would normally provide.

LPG=fail.

sheepers

please provide conclusive proof

There's plenty of books out there, you just need to go to a tech book shop or library. Just very little on google as it's more a place for sheep.

"motor will last nearly forever"

on LPG? i dont fucking think so.

unless you run oil feeders into your carb/fuel injection to lube the valve stems and guides.

seen so many old LPG convos with valve stems and guides completely fucked due to lack of the lube that petrol would normally provide.

LPG=fail.

sheepers

Yet again you've got yourself confused.

The conversions that failed were half arsed jobs by cowboy mechanics who didn't know what they were doing.

You've confused yourself with the problems caused by using unleaded petrol/LPG/CNG on older motors that didn't have hardened valve seats (nothing to do with the stems). The original fix was to use morays upper cylinder lubricant or similar (there's a special setup for LPG/CNG). The modern fix is to use hardened valve seats. Anything that is reliable on unleaded petrol will also be reliable on LPG.

Steve

this thread is fast becoming nothing but fail.

i appreciate your less confrontational manor Steve.

there are plenty or reasons why LPG is of no use and there are plenty of ways to make it work.

but this has nothing to do with this thread, so in the interests of stopping arguments, and opinions being used in place of facts, i am locking this thread.

sheepers.