Tortrons GN

tortron

Here's a 212cc build, using an lt160 rod, 7mm offset crankpin, Thailand pistonScreenshot_20221123_184411.thumb.jpg.baf26597852b85e987f2f5943acd9b6a.jpg

I think I will weld up a crank and fit an lt160 conrod offset as much as is suitable, and run one of my flat Honda pistons. This will take it to 180ccish depending on how things fit. Compression ratio would be alright too, and lots of room for valves

• Like 6

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting is the suzuki raider r150. Which has a 62mm piston stock and has endless tuning options, big pistons in every shape, conrods in every length, and crank pins in what ever offset you like. 

Screenshot_20221123_205228_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.28c84d035d4179ccffa095e6f16e3bd0.jpg

If I bore the gn/dr crank pin out from 28 to 30mm I would then have almost endless options, including "blank" topped pistons which are extra thick so you can mod them however you like. 

The con rods look like they are around the lt160 length +/- some mm either way depending what you want. Good for stroker build

The only issue is I have not figured out how to get something from the Philippines sent here, but I think this is what I'm going to look into

• Like 1

Almost had engine buttoned up, had just filled with oil and set the valve clearances. 

Then the intake valve started sticking open

So I took the head back off

IMG_20221128_163100.thumb.jpg.0616037ee29d1bb174e6630acec51684.jpg

Guide snapped at the retainer. Hmmm

Was probably damaged and waiting to ping off, the valve that was in it had lost its retainer end and dropped and bent. Lucky that it happened before the engine was running

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, not expecting to find this 

Entire brush end of the starter totally blown to bits. 

Cam chain had jumped off the crank at some point during the lock up, and had bound up the starter gear. 

The wire has sheared and looks like the starter made a 1/3 turn. I'm not sure how this could happen when the crank is stopped Something like, valve drops, engine locks, shock sends through the starter gear and reduction gear, somehow causing the starter to blow to bits, and the final stretch of the timing chain rotated the armature a bit. 

Crank seems fine tho, just some scuffing on the starter bendix gear where the cam chain jammed it, no damage to the casing where the reduction gear run. No glitter or gear teeth fell out of thr engine, have had both sides off to see what's up, plastic oil pump gear looks fine, nothing in the sump mesh either. And have turned over by hand in gear incase I could feel or hear anything without splitting the casesIMG_20221214_163722.thumb.jpg.d015ff46b7e0b31f3811cabf0220f647.jpg

A Christmas miracle happened and I got new valves, guides, and a reamer in a couple weeks, so the dr125 head is back together and all installed, put a replacement starter in and it turns over fine. Exhaust and carb back on tomorrow and will see if there's any terrible noises. 

• Like 6

On 20/12/2022 at 16:47, Mop Head said:

I still have an FX125 motor (I think) I would donate to this cause. 

Was running when pulled. DOHC etc etc. 

Oh yeah, that could be worth inspecting. 

Even a stock rod coupled with a slight offset pin would gain a few cc. 

Here's a "big sump" GN? 125 engine

1100 ml oil vs 850ml of the normal GN125 engines. 

All the covers, cylinder, and head are visibly different. 

I dunno what this was from, but I have a suspicion that it is the engine that takes the high dome big bore piston (and probably the different pitch timing chain and conrod) 

IMG_20221222_111305_edit_244669188954332.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SOHC said:

How do you line that crank pin up?

By eye, then hammer it home from what I have seen of the builds on YouTube (hold it with your bare feet so it doesn't move around) 

I'd probably rig something up with v blocks and a surface plate I guess 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tortron said:

By eye, then hammer it home from what I have seen of the builds on YouTube (hold it with your bare feet so it doesn't move around) 

Yes I was just watching them hammer cranks together and then wack a big steel wege in to separate it to get the rod to move

4 hours ago, tortron said:

Was chatting about assembly of Aprilia rs250 cranks yesterday. A guy bought two of them NEW and he said you could see the misalignment by eye. he tapped them around with a hammer to get them straight.

Doesn't sound right to me but what do I know.

• 1 month later...

Dug out a mikuni flat slide pumper from my early dr200 parts

Tm28

It's 99% there, can make it work with some other spares I have. (failing this il get an aliexpress version, which appear to be shorter whichmay be useful) 

I expect big gains from changing thr carb. The Bs26 is pretty average 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally took the GN out for a test in its current setup

Dr125 head, with double valve springs

150 kit, with valve cutouts in piston 

Hotcams cam

2 base gaskets

Standard exhaust and GN bs carb setup from how I always had it 

Pretty eh, I expected that due to the low compression of the combustion chamber and lame 150 kit piston 

It has more power than a stock GN but it feels kind of sluggish off the line, has a bit of a stable between 6 to 8k rpm

Really gets on cam at about 9000rpm and pulls to???? Rpm where it will sit but not give any more (my modded tach and the hour meter tach I don't trust much, modded says about 10 and never goes higher but the rpm sounds like it goes higher, hour meter about 12k but is inconsistent, I might have to make a light weight custom cluster) 

Anyways its good at high rpm, probably cos of the big valves coupled with the cam. I think I could tune the stumble out and help the low end with a vm or tm carb. But I just dislike this piston, and don't think it's worth any further development using it. 

Plan now, go back to 125cc. I'm going to run a complete dr125 topend, so just a stock jug with a high dome piston in it. 

This will give a good compression ratio, should put out a bit more power with the bigger valves, and along with the Hotcam will be a nice package. Then I'm going to throw a better carb on it, which again should improve it all over. 

• Like 7

Can get a stock or +1mm 11:1 piston for the dr125, about the same price as a China bigbore kit

Longer term I'm going to look at how big of valves I can put in the GN head. If I could run at minimum, dr125 valves along with a big flat top Honda piston, I think that would be pretty good. Would need machining to fit the DR valve springs. may be touch and go as there's different angles involved. 

I'm sure I have at least one head I can try it on. Can do about 165cc with the piston I have, but really want those bigger valves