Advice: anyone done a Toyota 5M/T conversion to a Rover P6B?

RoverP6B

i know nothing about rovers but i do know that 5M toyota engines are crap.

is there a better engine you can use? or is there some quirk that demands you use a 5M toyota engine??

there aren't many rover people on this forum so it might take a bit of time for someone to give you some advice but please enlighten me as to why 5M?

sheepers.

depends what you want it for. maybe worth sourcing a 5spd out of an sd1 vandlenplas, although it will be hard, it's probably only going to cost you about the same amount as a toyota box, which you will want to use a w55 or similar.....

you'll also not need an adaptor and may even be able to use your standard driveshaft maybe? could be a direct bolt in.

if you're going for a box that you can beat a bit then definitely the toyota item. jsut to get it manual and for economies sake, see what you can find by way of sd1 stuff.

on the topic of pedal boxes, if the tc one fits then go for that,otherwise you're looking at fabricating it from scratch. if you find a donor car get as much of the pedal assembly as you can... master cylinder and clutch lines etc as you may be able to use these.

Thanks, good advice! Trying to avoid the Rover 5 speed as these are just too uncommon + prices on Trademe show that people do pay up large for these

Expect the driveshaft will need to be modified then balanced; getting the speedo to work accurately wll probably be the biggest challenge after the pedal box

Cars a dailly driver

Best

GW

depends what you want it for. maybe worth sourcing a 5spd out of an sd1 vandlenplas, although it will be hard, it's probably only going to cost you about the same amount as a toyota box, which you will want to use a w55 or similar.....

you'll also not need an adaptor and may even be able to use your standard driveshaft maybe? could be a direct bolt in.

if you're going for a box that you can beat a bit then definitely the toyota item. jsut to get it manual and for economies sake, see what you can find by way of sd1 stuff.

on the topic of pedal boxes, if the tc one fits then go for that,otherwise you're looking at fabricating it from scratch. if you find a donor car get as much of the pedal assembly as you can... master cylinder and clutch lines etc as you may be able to use these.

keep us posted on how you get on :)

639e_3.jpg

75880367_full.jpg

swedes1.jpg

swedes2.jpg

Picture's not my car, but very similar

Cylinder heads ( SD-1 Vitesse ) ready to go on a 3.9 Discovery block Hardened valve seats mean using unleaded gas ( or LPG ) are OK

All the injection stuff has gone + replaced by Carbs

OK, will take a while but I'll post progress as it happens

Thanks to all who have posted!

GW