bad experences with pinto cams.....

eke_zetec_RWD

I've never had any problems, not even when I used to rev it off the clock with a 3/4 race cam lol.

one thing I know is that there is an issue with rockers, you may have read that you should buy new rockers when you install a new cam. But many of the rockers we have available here are the wrong size. They fit, but not as good as std. Apparently this is because the rockers are made to suit a 1600 and a 2L.. without actually suiting either motors. So I always used the best old rockers I could find in my engines.

dunno if this is actually your problem btw but I thought it would be interesting information anyway.

Its something to do with the geometry of the head. Either Vizzard or David Baker mention it in one of their tuning guides. 1 in 10 or something similar chew the cam out they said.

I have had one do it. I put it down to rockers not being machine acuratly enough. It ate the lobe down so much that the rocker fell off and it made a massive bang/novalve after around 3000ks. Set I have now I got done at Kelford and they are fine.

himmmm, random thing is that this head im using atm i have used before with no issues.

the cam and lifters were still in mint condition when it jumps off 2

i went to hartlys head shop to see if he would redo my good head but he said he wont touch any pinto heads any more unless the owner assembles them or he uses a roller cam kit from esslinger in the usa. they 1000us a kit which all gud.

that includes valves, steel cam, roller rockers, head braces, adjustable rocker pedistals and valve springs.

quite keen a.

but really theres no reason why mine wont work rite.......

^ yep can't say I miss doing them..

ya gotta remember to hold down the back of the rocker with your finger then slide the

feeler gauge in and adjust so it just *bites* then slides through nicely. Turn cam and repeat.

too tight and you'll wear everything out, too loose and everything will rattle and a rocker will fall out lol

yeah nismo still has the roller rockers I think.. he might sell them I dunno.

The retainer springs can be slightly weak too. Have you tried changing the retaining spring with another one?

I replaced mine every 3 race meetings or so depending on lap count and I was pulling 9000rpm

Yeah there is a trick to the valve settings but rollers can cause you issues also. You can't just get roller followers and slap them on the cam already fitted as they need a different lobe shape to follow (I made this mistake when I was very young and it cost me thousands in damage)

Corey

The retainer springs can be slightly weak too. Have you tried changing the retaining spring with another one?

I was thinking the same thing.

You can't just get roller followers and slap them on the cam already fitted as they need a different lobe shape to follow (I made this mistake when I was very young and it cost me thousands in damage)

Corey

Yep that's what had happened with these and one of them had been broken and fixed. Not that playhard said that on his auction. Luckly I got them cleaned and crack tested here at work and they are all good. Still waiting for a roller cam to turn up :wink:

Yep that's what had happened with these and one of them had been broken and fixed. Not that playhard said that on his auction. Luckly I got them cleaned and crack tested here at work and they are all good. Still waiting for a roller cam to turn up :wink:

Thats not good man I hate people who do stuff like that and set up others for costly errors :(

Glad to hear you sorted it.

Hows that head coming on?

Corey