bad experences with pinto cams.....

eke_zetec_RWD

Oh the horror storey continues. Im guessing no other damage was done?

no other damage.

new head on and dyno today.

note to self never change valve springs in place on a pinto lol.

anyway got 177kw atw.

that turbo i got is too small to hold 18psi on the new head as its so much more ecfficent. so yea just run 9 psi for now

and look around for other options.....

237hp=177kw so thats not to bad if the turbo is to small.

Just had a look at your project thread... keep the exhaust side of the turbo and get a bigger compressor snail, also see what trim variations are available for the biggersizes.

I'm sorry that it is too late now as you have already made the intake manifold (and you have done an awesome job) but fitting trumpets that pertrude into the plenium by around 10mm will grive you a more meaty mid range and a more smooth usable power band.

Glad to hear the other issues are sorted and you have an awesome ride there my friend.

Corey

yea its not too bad but at 20psi at above 5000rpm made no more power than it did at 16psi, just blowing hot air up there.

the vf38 turbo is odd ball apparently. apparently the vf36 which is v8 sti i think wont fit, from net pics i reken it will.

it has larger turbine and compressor housings.

only other option is to go to aftermarket turbo

I wouldn't change the rear end or you will loose torque.

I am seriously considering turboing my pinto i'm building for my cortina. I had one in there before but sold it to go V8 (which was a nightmare before it began.

I will be doing it so that it has a flat torque curve this time cause I'm sick of having engines blow up due to being to highly modified (the last one was a suck through setup and was 425hp at the flywheel). If I can acheive what I'm going for it will basically have a touque curve that goes straight up and stops at 5000rpm.

What I said about your manifold is gospel an you would notice a huge difference in loss of lag.

Did you build the manifold?

Corey

I lost them to my flat mate pouring acid over all my stuff 12 years ago :(

The roller cam made the biggest difference believe me. also the intercooler from a mack truck was the other big help.

I also had water injection diectly into the port area in each cylinder.

It was a $9000-00us parts engine and the exchange rate was $1-00NZ to 37centsUS

Also I stand corrected it was a blow through set up that made the big power my suck through on made 210hp with water injection into the front of the carb.

Sorry for the misleading comments I will get more sleep from now on :P

Corey

yea i made the manifolds, wouldnt be hard to chop the plenum off and make small trumpets and weld in.

im worried that the turbine housing is too small and will be my limiting factor???

55175041sx0.jpg

thats my dyno sheet before new head and cam.

new sheet is same but power is same untill the drop off point and then it just keeps rising till the turbo ran out.

torque was same but after the drop off it stays well above the old line.

and on low boost the new head and cam gave me about 10% more everywhere.

so what do you recomend for turbo then?

Id aviod shit brand turbos, stick with Garret or HKS if your rich :lol: . Even Turbonetics and other big names. Multiple multiple horror stories about cheap turbos on the net, have a looksie. The rest of the engine is top notch, may as well keep the theme.

Look into the GT2871r, I have always thought they would suit a turbo Pinto setup well. Or the 2860 if wanting a tad smaller. I dont know if they come with the right flange for you but thats not really a huge issue for you is it?

The s15 silvia ones are ok but a bit top endy for street use. Although you can hybrid them easy enough.

It depends how much you want to spend I guess.

I would talk to someone who knows and go from there.

Phillip at Diesel Tune in St Lukes does all my stuff and has done for years but I'm not sure how that would suit you.

If you want the turbo to work harder in the mid range you need to Dport the exhaust but it needs to be D ported in such a way that the gases will work with the flow of your manifold.

Also what would a manifold like that cost? I'm very impressed with the quality of your workmanship. 8)

Corey

theres no issure in the midrange, only top end. full boost before 2500rpm.

Turbonetics mite be the way to go i think.

manifolds will vary depending ect. coating is around 200 alone.

my one cost me around 500 to build plus time.

but there isnt any option apart from custom for a pinto unless you want a shitty cast one or something.

manifolds will vary depending ect. coating is around 200 alone.

my one cost me around 500 to build plus time.

but there isnt any option apart from custom for a pinto unless you want a shitty cast one or something.

if you are keen i might have to get your professional help= $ for you

it wont be for a while though at this stage with my job being shaky

Corey

theres no issure in the midrange, only top end. full boost before 2500rpm.

Turbonetics mite be the way to go i think.

I would see what compressor housings are available first and try retarding the cam timing by 2-3 degrees it should alter the rpm that maximum boost comes through at due to the piston valve position.

If i was you i would try to get more air in there and see if you can get it to be a smoothe delivery as per your torque curve but more and raise the cam closing timing to being a little closer to TDC this will give you a bigger kick and a sensation of higher power.

The cam timing is also only time and no $$$. So its a win win situation.

Corey

Awsome pinto, love your workman ship

In regards to the turbo another option could be a hybrd wrx td05/06 as they will use the same flange they are well know to make good power, I'd be speaking to Steve Murch at motorsport engineering

Is the vf34 bigger than the vf22 for the earlier model as it might also be larger

or if your really crazy an apexi rx6 might do the job, they are a really large vf turbo as apexi use ihi turbos

Awsome pinto, love your workman ship

In regards to the turbo another option could be a hybrd wrx td05/06 as they will use the same flange they are well know to make good power, I'd be speaking to Steve Murch at motorsport engineering

Is the vf34 bigger than the vf22 for the earlier model as it might also be larger

or if your really crazy an apexi rx6 might do the job, they are a really large vf turbo as apexi use ihi turbos

I don't think the td05/06 and other WRX turbo's will fit his manifold, I am pretty sure he is using one of the late model twin scroll VF's

yea none of the above turbos will match my manifold.

i fucked around with cam timing on dyno and its in the best position now.

ended up that the specs on the sheet were exactly where i ended up leaving it.

i think a vf34 is newer and much more robust than the 22. most the top group n guys use them.

maby a vf36 of vf37 will fit.