help with 4g32 tapping noise- what could it be?

rwdlancer

My 1600 ex lancer has devolped some very bad sounding tapping noises.if anyone could help with what it could be that would be great.

here are the facts:

-when the engine is started cold there will be a couple of knocks and then no knocks at all until it warms up

-doesnt do it under load

-when hot at at idle speed the knock does not happen until its reved up past 2500rpm and keeps knocking until around 3500 rpm and is sweet after that

-slight smoke coming out of breather hose

-hasnt lost that much power since the tapping started but has lost some

-sounds like something in the top end

thinking about putting the standard cam back in to see if that changes anything but if anyone noes what it most likely is that would be great

cheers

ps. after a new 4g32b cylinder head to see if i could put that on and fix the tapping noise if anyone has one theyd like to get rid of :D

how hard would it be to replace the bearings and that? still able to buy new ones off the shelf? its been making the noise for a while now and has worsened.probly done around 1200kms on it wth the tapping noise.still craks 180kmph tho :lol: myte just take it easy on it and wait for it to die.then replace them with leather lyk the maori said to do haha. as for the conversion to a 2 litre, ive already got a l200 gearbox so it would be pretty easy ya think? same loom and that?

The big end let go in my old mans Carib the other month. Fanged it all over the show, to the snow, to the surf, to auckland etc... then took it in to the mechanics "she's right, no damage, $500 please". So best look at it first before you go replaceing it if your low on dosh.

how hard would it be to replace the bearings and that? still able to buy new ones off the shelf? its been making the noise for a while now and has worsened.probly done around 1200kms on it wth the tapping noise.still craks 180kmph tho :lol: myte just take it easy on it and wait for it to die.then replace them with leather lyk the maori said to do haha. as for the conversion to a 2 litre, ive already got a l200 gearbox so it would be pretty easy ya think? same loom and that?

loom? It's carbed bro, no need to be fucking with the loom really bar shit like oil pressure gauge and the ignition coil and dizzy. Easy as

You could possibly drop the crank out the bottom of the sump if you take the gearbox out, and replace the bearings that way. Probably more trouble than it's worth though. Get the 2 litre in there, maybe replace the rings gaskets and bearings first

The big end let go in my old mans Carib the other month. Fanged it all over the show, to the snow, to the surf, to auckland etc... then took it in to the mechanics "she's right, no damage, $500 please". So best look at it first before you go replaceing it if your low on dosh.

Dont Caribs run 4-AGES / the best (most thrashed) piston engine of all time??

Dont Caribs run 4-AGES / the best (most thrashed) piston engine of all time??

Yeah, Phil's on the money. It's running a highly unmodiyed "tuned" (= "thrashed") 4-AFE-FTW. Such a staunch wagon, never gets a oil change, never has brakes looked at... in fact, I think when the mechanic had it, it was the first time the bonnet had been opened in years! :lol: That's just how the old man is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Heck, don't even maintain it, it's a toyota"