Jase's ZZ/R Gemini Wagon Replica

Jase

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they are 215/45s that i picked up for $50 to get it rolling surprisingly wofable though,

the colour is crc zinc copper cold galv the shit you spray on welds before undersealing etc,

one can to do all the centers twice,

205 40s are on the shopping list but will mod the guards to suit the 215s so i have some leeway when i load it up to drive ie gas back bumper full zorst

gemini005if9.jpg,

the rims are sex width and offset 15 inch would be better than 16 for proportions sake

but meh i like em and will look to do a set of 14s or 15s to run slicks and have these for on the road.

gemini005if9.jpg

colour offset

a holdfast product 202 clear,

and a strip of bike tube over the join as one didn't seal first go,

seems that it will work but takes 14 days to cure

tire guy gave it a go after a few hours but no dice,

without the proper cure and no strip of tube

i will shorten the diff before i would ever put flares on it as they are yuck unless

i went extreme with mega sized wheels etc,

option one shorten the gemini housing and go in board as far as i can and buy a piazza lsd 'swear'

and strengthen the torque tube with steam pipe and then trim the spline back on the gemini

axles and have them shot peened and fit i have some commodore calipers to use and will set this up as i go,

i would also mount a solid bearing in the front of the torque tube instead of the rubber mount,

option two buy a 3.9 b1600 diff and set up with redrilled axles etc and then i have my detroit locker that will bolt straight in and find an lsd for the ute as it isn't going to have trouble

moving around out the back,

option two wins fuck 23 spline axles detroit ftw,

also price factor as i havn't had the drive shaft done yet and will be good to sort it before i break it,

hilux diffs are over priced and have shit lsds really for what they are,

no disrespect to the fans i just dont want to pay 2g for a conversion i can

likely do and make tougher for $800

yea mazda diff ftw! hilux only good for lockers :lol: and mazda is pretty damn wide so you can normally shorten axels with respline insted of cut/weld

hard to tell without it on the ground but looks like you could get away with just flaring the fuk outta your metal guards?

I reckon you shouldn't go shortening shit just yet, atleast lip those guards and dolly them out a little bit. Once you fit those 205/40's you should be away laughing, perhaps even 195/40's if you don't mind going that small.

Just pop a couple of locked gemi diffs first and then go waste some money on a mazda unit. I wouldn't bother with piazza at all if you are looking to uprate stuff because they don't seem much stronger than gemini anyway and modifying away from torque tube to a decent 4 link setup would be a good step in the right direction.

i don't really like the torque tube set up at all sorry brad that was why i'm going for a b1600

diff work is kindly lending me some machine time,

have been given autocad to draw all the mounting point and diff movement diagrams,

i am severely adverse to any kind of guard rubbage so its an opportune moment to get

it all done and certed in one go,

going to laser or water cut all the bracketry and then have my mate who's a certified engineer

weld it all together like a mechano set,

will be a bolt in swap all bar one mount on the body that will retain the other side of the watts link, will posta few drawings tonight if i can get files to export,

do it properly once and save money later i say

oh and further to cul8ers comments,

the rover is a slightly stiffer block and is narrower altogether compared to the p76

due to the heads being wider,

i don't have much room at the mo for extractors, booster, starter and steering gear,

so the 3.5 is the maximum width

i want to keep the weight down but also have the option of taking the rover to 4.9 litres by running a small journal 327 chev crank and effectively stroking the ass off it,

running the triangulated fourlink and the mazda diff will give me the option of sticking some meaty semi slicks on these rims for track events

and being able to run my detroit locker as well without the worry of breaking the diff

even if i went to 4.9litres in the future,

like bulldogs gte i want to set it up correctly first time as opposed to temporary fixes that cost more in the long run.

• 1 month later...

So haven't updated for a while although getting a few jobs ticked off,

Had my water pump rebuilt,

radiator in progress down at cookes radiator (gc's),

dropping the front x member out tonight and measuring it all up for the winged sump,

which a mate is going to fab out of stainless for me (very teh flash and shiny),

have 3.08 gears to go into the borg diff i am getting,

slowly just chipping away at the jobs to get the bloody thing finished,

looking for a cam to send away to franklin to have a more aggresive grind done to match

my 1500 to 6000 intake and 4 barrel holley and fitting up my high volume barnes oil pump.

• 5 weeks later...

gemini053nt1.jpg

gemini056na1.jpg

gemini054ju4.jpg

gemini055bd0.jpg

just after some ideas guys i popped the x member off the other day but i'm running out of time with this,

I have an xd lsd on the way and want to go discs all round,

this may mean i either have to convert axles to 4x100 or i convert the whole car to 5x114,

and be able to utilise a huge array of mags and brake components that are availible,

i want to get it running first with the piazza front, gemi diff set up and at least be able to have a play,

the problem there will be all my gearing is going to be quite low which is going to have me tapped out at 150km/h on 16's,

so what cars have a similar wishbone set up that is 5x114,

and the back end will be a four link with a watts eventually once it gets set up with an lsd,

I know i take off in more directions than a windvane in a tornado but any ideas would be appreciated