A very strange question about testing ignition timing

Unclejake

Spinning the engine to 6,000rpm plus would be a challenge.

Not with the motorbike method :wink:

Soft Iron reluctor.

so you are stuck with leaving everything in a dizzy.

MSD

Why are you worried then?

MSD is decent and trustable and I'm sure you'll be monitoring timing with a light at startup.

No ocilliscope - and I don't need one. I just need to observe the prenence of advance and retard. Not the exact values of the pluse shape.

Like you say the exact values aren't needed you'd have just been looking for the shift.

Another way to do it mechanically, connect it up so that it's firing the coil connect your timing light. "TDC" is when the reluctor prongs line up. you should be able to see advance with the strobe light on the reluctor wheel the same as you would on the crank pully.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not with the motorbike method :wink:

Another way to do it mechanically, connect it up so that it's firing the coil connect your timing light. "TDC" is when the reluctor prongs line up. you should be able to see advance with the strobe light on the reluctor wheel the same as you would on the crank pully.

It is goung to be bloody hard` to see that with the dizzy cap on - or have I missed something

Motorbike method?

The MSD gear may well be fine - but the unit I want to test was built in 1989 and I got it second hand. I also need to check my wiring.

The electric drill will be adequate I think - except my dizzy didn't arrive today :(

Translation = it's electronic and not mechanical and it makes UncleJake scared.

Terrified :|

EDIT: Let me back that up - if I have set this system up wrong (backwards) or the second hand module I purchased off TM years ago is erratic the first time I will know that I have a problem is when the engine hits 6,000 rpm and then suddenly gets fed 68 degrees of advance. Think of the mess that would make

I am going to test it first

My dizzy has no mechanical or vacuum advance.

BDA - there was a similar machine in Wellington at Car Therapy but it is broken. As far as I can tell there are no others in the region BUT such a unit will not achieve what I want to achieve as the timing is handled by 'computers' mounted in the car rather than the dizzy. I need to spin up the dizzy physically near the immoveable car and connected to the installed wiring harness.

:

If there's no advance in the distributor, then there's no need to spin it. All you need to do is use an oscillator (well a little bit more to it than that, a square wave oscillator with 12 volt bias) to supply the ignition amp, then compare input and output with a 2 chanel scope.

As for the "sun " machine, I'm sure I could get it going for them if it's not too serious (and they've got plenty of $$$$).

Best option would be to use the sun machine with dizzy hooked up to the ignition amp & coil etc.

If you're using a computer then why not throw away the dizzy and use a pair of wasted spark coils with 2 crank triggers?

Steve

^ you could well be right but I do have a drill and some twink but I dont have a flux capacitor (yet) :D .

Regarding the Sun (it was actually some other brand that may have started with Z) the fault is a blown strobe and the rplacement was around $2k. Not wort if for the owner and I think he sold it/gave it to the Polytech

it is goung to be bloody hard` to see that with the dizzy cap on - or have I missed something

Yeah you don't put the cap on.

Get everything connected, put connect a spark plug to the coil so it can fire and connect the timing light.

Use your drill to spin it. Point the timing light at the spinning part of the reluctor and it should look stationary the same as the crank pulley does. Pick a stationary point on the dizzy body as your reference point and you should see the reluctor move like the crank pulley does... basicly you are using the spinning part of the reluctor as you would the crank pulley when setting the timing. Not a very good description sorry....

Motorbike method?

Yeah the dirty garage roller method, you need a bike and a rear wheel roller setup you use the bike to spin the rear wheel and turn the engine. It's also handy for pumping up the oil pressure on a fresh engine. Bike shops do this to "push start" a bike while standing still.

Lowls..... ...........I will part off the teeth in the lathe and mark the remainder of the blade in degrees for the timing light to pick up on.

Hack off the shroud etc, turn up an extention nut (that holds the blade on) and attach a bit of hose to that extension nut to drive the dizzy scroll, weld up a frame to cable tie a dizzy to, insert an electric drill, add a coil, earth rail for sparkplugs and a rev counter and you have the lushest dizzy tester known to man that also doubles as a portable saw/finger/stray cable remover auw.

I rule at life.

Guest vvega

i wanna see video :D

there is something apealing to me about raw machines....i love unrefined stuff :D have a affinity for old steam etc

• 1 month later...
Also: Interesting what not having the plug leads snapped on properly to the plugs does at high RPM.

Lol was just going to say that.

Plugs worked as normal, maybe a tad weak untill the higher rev range when they just couldnt fire fast enough and either stopped firing or missed the beat. Understandable I gues lol