car repaint - please help

Beaver

hey all. ive done a bit of reading around the posts here, but htere are just a few things i wana clear up before i paint my car. NOTE-I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO A PROFESSIONAL JOB

im handy enuf with a spray gun, but just need to clarify which type of paint i need, and wheather or not i need to do a clear coat.

first im guna sand back the hole car, and fill a few dings around the place. then ill spary the hole car with primer, and then check again for dings and what not. now i get stuck...can someone please tell me what type of paint i need to use, and if i need to do a clearcoat? any help would be great thanks

ANdrew

if you use laquer paint,youll do a clear..

dont need to with 2pak..

laquer is the easiest to spray for an ametuer,i found anyway.

once your happy with the panelwork..

spray a couple of coats of primer

not sure if this is the best or not but i gave mine a quick 2000 grit sand off

then sprayed the colour,3-4 coats.

then the clear,3-4 coats,i had a pearl mixed in with my clear too..

let it dry/harden,then give it a cut n polish..

this is the part i got stuck on.ive been watching american hotrod..

and they do a colour sand wet n dry..i take it that you use the highest grit number possible,use plenty of water and give it a light sand all over to get out any orange peel/dimples/spots or any bugs that land on it if you paint in your driveway... :lol:

then buff it with a buffing wheel and buffing compound..

just use a base coat clear coat

make sure the body is sweet

*you can primer it and maybe guide coat it(light dusting of colour)

*sand it back (i just use some 320)

*mask it all up

*blow it off with some air

*you can use a tack rag or some panel wipe to make sure theres no

dust or shit on it

*spray all door jams and over hiddin places first

*the in nice even stokes paing it

*let it harded were no dust will fall on it

*spray a few coats of clear i normaly do about 4 for a quick job.

*let it harden off

*then i just use some 1500/2000 wet and dry and just knock the top of the clear off

*then give it a nice polish try not to cut threw the clear.

that should ya mate.

dan

After sanding and before paint wipe the whole car down with prepsol or similar. This removes any silicon that may be present, wether you know it or not!!....If you don't clean off any silicon it will make the paint look like shit!......also some lacquers don't need a clear, I have a Porsche orange on my car and they never used a clear with that.

After sanding and before paint wipe the whole car down with prepsol or similar. This removes any silicon that may be present, wether you know it or not!!....If you don't clean off any silicon it will make the paint look like shit!......also some lacquers don't need a clear, I have a Porsche orange on my car and they never used a clear with that.

Absolutely ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you dont It will have all these crazy fukn wax eye marks all over the place, and if you get them its a case of basically starting all over again with the panel its on.

The paint job will only be as good as the base work underneath.

im thinking of painting it like a bright blue metallic colour...almost similar to the new blue fords like the xr6s and that. im not sure tho ill just see what happens when i get round to painting it. it needs a lil bit of work done before it gets back on the road so im guna spend my time and money on that first before i worry what it looks like haha. but if it geta warented without a huge hassle, then yeh im goin to look at painting it and gettin it looked real nice. oneday put some new wheels on it but yeh im only a student the money is kinda tight haha. i have big plans in my mind but yeh who knows if ill ever get there.

thanks for your help everyone