Rev counter.. 4cyl to 8 cyl

RT

yeah so... what do boes do when they put an extra four cylinders into their engine bay?

Rev counter is going spastic as it's getting twice as many signals..

can anyone suggest some bright and easy fix? Preferable not trying to graft a different rev counter in the dash if I don't have too. As I've got nice pretty white dials in now.. :rolleyes:

should be able to. I can't help with the techie aspects though.

perhaps (long shot) try and track down a schematic for the factory item, and a schemtatic for an 8cyl equivalent and see what's different. would likely jsut switch it through a transistor or something similar.

all else failed, talk to robinson instruments in auckland. should be a piece of piss to find their numebr on the net, or someone more local to you

tite.

does this mean she's a runner already? or jsut thinking ahead?

off his alt? interesting.. I've got it running off the coil as per usual..

yeah it's not exactly running as such.. but i've spun up the dizzy with a drill to make sure all the new electrics are working properly.

Not far away just making some adjustments to the engine mounts. :P

parrots instruments on st asaph street can probably help you out. cant remember their number off hand, but I work at 344 and they are 2 or 3 buildings closer to fitzy ave than us.

fuckit, ill take mine in tomorrow on my lunch break cos im betting mine needs done too, see if they can do it.

I just bought a new moon eyes gauge and on the back is a switch that sets it to 4/6/8 cylinder. Check there isnt something simple like this. Or is it the factory one?

His is factory. Modern tachos have this built in (circa 90's onwards) so that a car manufacturer can reduce costs by using one tacho unit for all cars they produce, but it is unlikely the feature will be on the back of the Capri one. They did make 4cyl and V6 Capris, so there might be a slim chance you can switch these, but wouldn't hold much hope.

just to make sure i get the right thing, how does a tach work?

is it just a little mechanism that counts every time it's connected to ground? if so, how much current goes through that wire? if it's fuck all it'll save few dollars here and there but i just need to know how much current...

if thats not how a tach works, can someone explain it to me please?

RT, i asked leon to do that for me :)

EDIT; volts would be good too... can someone put multi meter on it for me and tell me? be even better if someone had a scope....

I think thats how it works.. however that would assume that since mine is a 8 instead of a 4 now then it ought to be receiving double the signals and thus twice the reading on the tach.

But it's not.. we had the link controller telling us 2000rpm and the tacho was reading about 5,800rpm.. :?

ok.

i talked to the boss...

I'm going to do some research tonight and i may be developing a box that can convert 4,6,8 and 12 to 4,6,8 and 12 :)

So if i do that i'll let you know how that goes...

How soon would you really be needing one?