rear springs wont seat properly

Ke36

ok

trying to put my reat suspension back together in my ex lancer and it seems as though my newly lowered rear springs wont seat over the mounts for them on my newly converted hilux diff :?

its almost like the coil diameter has shrunk or something

there this stlye setup (stolen from a pic on trademe)

50372961_full.jpg

are they meant to be a really tight fit so that once the car is settled etc they will basically jam in there?

i dont remeber them being hard to take off so i assume there just meant to sit in the cup sorta thing and the tension keep them in there like every other car iv ever done

springs were compressed :lol:

so what the fucks going on?

in the process of compressing springs (getting them fucking hot) they may have relased some internal stresses in the steel causing the coil to close up a bit, if the interferance is less than 1mm you will have no trouble if you give it a bit of love with a dremmel.

make sure you leave no sharp (stress concentrating) edges on the spring once youve finished and youll be away.

if your talking about more than 1mm per side then i would be a bit hesatant, youll probably still be ok depending on the origional wire diamater of your spring.

basically, if it looks ok, it usually is.

latter,

sheepers.

Long shot but perhaps the shop gave you someone elses springs when you picked up rather than yours?
that spring seat on the new diff is definitely the same as the spring seat from the original diff?

yea these are the two options that i thought of, but i obviouslty didnt take exact measurements of the stuff before i took it in

they look the same as when i gave them to respective shops

trying to find some standard springs now to see if they will fit

im assuming it is likely to be something to do with the springs rather than the diff mounts

the springs are out by quite a bit tho

so many little things going wrong right before xmas so ya have to wait fuckin ages to sort them

basically, if it looks ok, it usually isnt.

my life story with cars

that must be a hell of an interesting starlet, triangulated 4 link and disc brakes on a hilux diff.

don't suppose you know more about the brake setup???

and if the springs and the seats are exactly the same and fit before then the springs must have shrunk, as unlikely as it seems. either that or something got mixed up, either seats or springs.

cheers

Matt

that must be a hell of an interesting starlet, triangulated 4 link and disc brakes on a hilux diff.

don't suppose you know more about the brake setup???

and if the springs and the seats are exactly the same and fit before then the springs must have shrunk, as unlikely as it seems. either that or something got mixed up, either seats or springs.

cheers

Matt

has a 4agte in it

prelude coilovers in the front i think

that diff is for sale cos its getting/got a 4 link in it

its s15 rear calipers with u13 bluebird discs

yea im trying to find some standard springs now so that i can try and fit them, hopefully its the springs cos i think the mounts would be in a scrap metal yard by now :shock:

ok went and talked to a suspension place today

both the spring place and the place iv got the diff done have closed for xmas/new year :evil:

they think the springs definately dont match the mounts so one of them is wrong

i think it is the springs though as they dont even fit in the rubber mounts for the top of them either

anyone got a set lying around they can take a pic of and measure?im trying to buy a new set but no luck as of yet

anyone able to post up a pic of the uderside of there lancer so i can compare spring mounts?

might have to do a mish and get underone on the side of the road :lol:

ok got some springs off a guy on the net

they seat properly :D

only thing is hey are way shorter and thinner than the other ones and

also way shorter than the stock measurements tregger got

these are 320mm under no load

and triggers ones were 400mm

there also about 2mm less thick at around 11mm

dont think they are cut as the top coil is wound close to the other coils on both sides if you know what i mean