engine mounts

RT

Is there a legal requirement to the size of the engine mount rubber isolator? My mounts only have room for a 13mm isolator.. or maybe 25mm. (1/2" to 1").

Also where would one get some hard rubber or urethane block to use for this? Para-rubber perhaps?

Urathane can be purchased as a machineable rod in various hardnesses from BNT.

Alternatively if you want a steel sandwich on each side of the urathane the likes of Autolign will make them for you if you supply the machined steel and a drawing (or an old mount of you are using a factory type thing).

Ask V8Pete about costs for the latter as he has had it done more recently than I but he is still a cunt

Don't think I will need a steel sandwich.. it will already be in a steel sandwich between the K-member and the mount.. plus the steel would just be even less room for the rubber.

BNT eh.. machineable rod? so it's like round like a tube and you have to cut it?

hmmm... wouldn't want it to be round though.. I want it to be rectangle to suit the mount. Prolly able to cut it to shape though.

sweet.. off to BNT at lunch then. (Hope I don't have to but a massive rod of the shit just to make a couple of mounts)

hmmm... wouldn't want it to be round though.. I want it to be rectangle to suit the mount. Prolly able to cut it to shape though.

sweet.. off to BNT at lunch then. (Hope I don't have to but a massive rod of the shit just to make a couple of mounts)

Nylon platsic breadboards FTW

how hard should the insulator be?

That depends on how much locktite you use on the rest of the car :lol:

Guys I race with use steel on steel.

I use red Nolathane.

Old cars use hardish rubber

Flash cars use nitrogen filled hollow rubber.

It all depends on how much vibration/noise you are prepared to transmit into the chassis and what the loading is going to be (in shear rather than in traction)

Edit: How are you mounting these 'mounts. Is there a bolt that passes through the steel crossmember/engine mount directly through the 'rubber' and threaded into the engine block?