4G63 questions

lowlancer

Can I chuck an early model round SOHC port head on a later model SOHC block, like from a E39 shape Galant or later. Just thinking about water galleries etc

The engines are far more common and fucking cheap. I already have a head I'm working, so the exhaust ports are irrelevant due to the head I have being the right type. I just don't know whether it'll fit the later block.

Also, wil the later block cause issues with gearbox fitment?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocks are the same, infact so are the heads on that shape Galant. Only difference being higher compression pistons and multi point fuel injection (I can't remember if they have a blanking plate to block off fuel pump hole or the heads are just not cast with that hole). Oh and the cam will be different profile.

So grab the later model SOHC 8V engine, use your head on that block, with the later model camshaft. Would be a good base to chuck twin carbs/sideys on.

The 4G63 remained relatively unchanged from its introduction in 1980 up until 1992ish when they changed to the newer 7 bolt block.

Wideblock is RWD Turbo only (ie my Eterna, Starions etc), and some of the 4G54's. We are talking about the 4G63 SOHC N/A carb in his Sigma Wagon, and a 4G63 SOHC injected out of a E33A shape Galant - both narrowblock.

they put the twincam 4g63 turbo head on the RWD blocks, same sorta deal i guess.Dont think there has to be any mods to water galleries or anything to do that.

Will be interesting as those fwd blocks etc are so cheap and easy to find.

Guest sexychevette

i found tripple bike carbs wit manifolds and velocity stacks in my shed. they even got mean as mesh over them like oldschool racin cars. Guna put them on my mums legacy. Runs on three most of the time anyway

Nah not going bike carbs. Needs to stay okay on gas, be easy to tune, and not need any fucking about. Motor isn't gonna be intense enough to warrant doing that, IMO anyway.

Maybe down the track when I get a different car, wagon will just be means to end stz

Also, phil, are the DOHC heads square port?

If I wanted to chuck one on, what would I do for inlet manifold? Could I use round port inlet and just fuck round with die grinder to get em close enough?

Would look badarse as and could use VR4 cams or something

could run twin downdrafts or IDAs(or whatever they are) on the twin carb manifold like i used to have.Gotta find one tho, guess that would be a cunt.Get john-o to sell ya his (my old ones on your old engine) lol.

What sorta HP can ya get outa a pinto with a 32/36?Would be bout the same for the 4g63 with less work.

Just fucked round with timing on mine 2day, running 25degrees with no detonation, got to 30, but started to detonate when the secondaries just started to open then goes away.Guess theres a lean patch just as they open ftl, roll on webber.

could run twin downdrafts or IDAs(or whatever they are) on the twin carb manifold like i used to have.Gotta find one tho, guess that would be a cunt.Get john-o to sell ya his (my old ones on your old engine) lol.

What sorta HP can ya get outa a pinto with a 32/36?Would be bout the same for the 4g63 with less work.

Just fucked round with timing on mine 2day, running 25degrees with no detonation, got to 30, but started to detonate when the secondaries just started to open then goes away.Guess theres a lean patch just as they open ftl, roll on webber.

prolly got mad inaudible detonation rocking.

hello ogre 4g63 #403453090

There's no way you'll get a SOHC inlet manifold to fit on a DOHC 4G63. The VR-4 4G63 has large ports while the Evo 4G63 has smaller ports, but both are squarish. You can cut and shut a manifold to suit RWD.

Okay

Here's what I was thinking today, and it doesn't mean I will do it, just a thought.

Twin cam head on rwd block with inlet manifold made up to suit twin 45s or 4xmotorbike carbs

Issues

-Inlet mani

-Water piping

-Producing spark with twin cam head and no ecu

-Fuelling

Figure the mani would be easy enough, get evo 4-8 one and cut up and get flange made to suit carbs

Any easy way round water piping, and producing spark with no CAS.

Could I use a dizzy somehow? Or use the cas on the head and get a cheap ignition computer?......

Spose I'd have to run a low pressure electric fuel pump over mechanical due to lack of allowance on DOHC head?

Damn me and my imagination. Just keen as on something different that sounds badass and goes well.

Anyone got link to motorbike carb thread?