4G63 questions

lowlancer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah dude why bother? Seems like a whole lot of work for not alot of gains really. It would actually be easier to just go fuel injection! Not much more work to go turbo.

To use DOHC head it would be a good idea to run DOHC pistons, cause otherwise the valves will probably touch the pistons (as the SOHC has indents for 3 valves, DOHC has indents for 4 valves).

Also I don't think an Evo 4~8 manifold bolts straight up to the earlier head.

Just find a complete DOHC N/A 4G63 out of a E33A Galant and drop that in and be done with it, none of this stuffing around with trying to mix and match heads.

Just said rwd block cos that's what I have, but yeah, easier to just get E33 engine

Am not going turbo or efi, at all. No way

So, get DOHC non turbs, get inlet mani made up for whatever carbs, exhaust manifold modded, use cas on basic ignition computer with coilpacks off evo etc.

Only issue would be the water lines that were in standy manifold, right?

Time to research

Yeah DOHC doesn't have thermostat in manifold like SOHC does, instead it has a housing at the rear of the head above the bellhousing. This can prove a problem when going RWD.

I don't know how you are going to control ignition, there's no dizzy with DOHC, only CAS and coil packs controlled by ECU.

Yeah I imagine you can fool the ecu into thinking it's still running injectors and get it to control the ignition - problem is the ignition timing curve will be spot on for an injected system, when you slap on carbs I'm sure it'll upset the tune and the standard timing curve (which isn't adjustable by the way) will not be best suited.

If you go megasquirt then shit you may as well just go injection. Seriously why transplant a DOHC head on, run aftermarket computer etc just to run carbs? I dunno about anyone else but I think this is turning into Celeste V2.0

around 200-300 will buy a standalone ignition controller and ignitor from jaycar, kit styles, should work with cas and std wasted spark setup, and the best thing about it is that it is completely adjustable...

the easiest way to get a manifold working for carbs would be to start from scratch, pay for some stainless, sort your carbs and i'll weld one up for you.

Just remember that because of the port sizes etc you are going to have a pretty flat motor at low revs..

definitely smaller port sizes, i have yet to see hard evidence of cc volume, i have heard that it is smaller, but needs work to deshroud the valves, at which point it is the same volume as a 63....

The difference is about .4 high static cr.

I'm attempting to find a 61 head to fit to mine with the quads, as the intake port area is almost identical to the silver top throttle diameter, thus it would have non tapered dead straight runners..

Yeah I imagine you can fool the ecu into thinking it's still running injectors and get it to control the ignition - problem is the ignition timing curve will be spot on for an injected system, when you slap on carbs I'm sure it'll upset the tune and the standard timing curve (which isn't adjustable by the way) will not be best suited.

If you go megasquirt then shit you may as well just go injection. Seriously why transplant a DOHC head on, run aftermarket computer etc just to run carbs? I dunno about anyone else but I think this is turning into Celeste V2.0

LOL

Aftermarket computer of sorts, not a Microtech. And I'm not DEFINATELY doing it unless I can see it being viable and relatively straigtforward

I was thinkin more along the lines of what isnowi said re: the Jaycar kit. Easy to do, people have done it before (unlike aftermarket ecu for DASH in NZ) and WAY more support for DOHC. Kinda makes sense to me. No way am i shelling out for a full blown ecu again

Will investigate more re:manifold length for tuning and get back to you isnowi, and thanks for the offer to do the welding, appreciate it

around 200-300 will buy a standalone ignition controller and ignitor from jaycar, kit styles, should work with cas and std wasted spark se

that money will buy a megasquirt which has so much more control over spark than a jaycar kit its not funny

around 200-300 will buy a standalone ignition controller and ignitor from jaycar, kit styles, should work with cas and std wasted spark se

that money will buy a megasquirt which has so much more control over spark than a jaycar kit its not funny

That money will buy a MS in kit form, still need to assemble and add appropriate sensors, but i agree, it has much more scope for adjustability..

Or if i am wrong and a MS can be bought operational for that money then tell me where, cos i want one.... :D