Intake + airfilters

mikuni

Gay but yeah, turbos suck shit in big time. My induction won't suck in birds. Just little bugs and such and they get processed by the engine. Actually quite a decent octane rating on flys etc. You'd be surprised.

Oh hey gaz. If you got a moment do you think you'd be able to pull any sane comments that me, spence, mike-e etc have been making about the intake airfilter stz out of spam and stick into a intake runner things and doing thread? Probably be too much fucking around due to being in spam..

Something to think about if you dont think you need an airfilter.

Whats sandpaper?...nice glass-like dust glued to paper, could be actually sand, its generally quite abrasive.

NZ's is surrounded by nice sandy beaches, and where there's no beaches we have volcanoes, the lava when it hardens must be one of the best abrasive materials around, and its pretty hard.

A story I heard from one of my mates who was in the Army.

NZ Army has (or used to have), some little Jaguar powered Scorpion Tanks, really quite quick lightweight tanks. When used at Waiouru the tracks would be swapped out every 6-12 months. After getting a few orders for new set of tracks, the British manufacturer was wondering what was going on as the tracks on these tanks were expected to last the life of the tank. They couldnt believe that the tracks were wearing out so quick, and sent the experts out from the UK. The problem was found to be the soil, its that abrasive, it was destroying the tracks.

The lightweight version of this same shit is spread everywhere in the Central Plateau area.....and if you you aint using a air filter...the engine will be breathing this highly abrasive air...your choice but if I had a engine that I'd spent some good coin on...I wouldnt risk it!

The mean as powerslides they used to do outside my old work, on public roads, probably has something to do with the accelerated wear on the tracks too.. :D

Something to think about if you dont think you need an airfilter.

Whats sandpaper?...nice glass-like dust glued to paper, could be actually sand, its generally quite abrasive.

NZ's is surrounded by nice sandy beaches, and where there's no beaches we have volcanoes, the lava when it hardens must be one of the best abrasive materials around, and its pretty hard.

A story I heard from one of my mates who was in the Army.

NZ Army has (or used to have), some little Jaguar powered Scorpion Tanks, really quite quick lightweight tanks. When used at Waiouru the tracks would be swapped out every 6-12 months. After getting a few orders for new set of tracks, the British manufacturer was wondering what was going on as the tracks on these tanks were expected to last the life of the tank. They couldnt believe that the tracks were wearing out so quick, and sent the experts out from the UK. The problem was found to be the soil, its that abrasive, it was destroying the tracks.

The lightweight version of this same shit is spread everywhere in the Central Plateau area.....and if you you aint using a air filter...the engine will be breathing this highly abrasive air...your choice but if I had a engine that I'd spent some good coin on...I wouldnt risk it!

Yo mikuni!

Ditch the socks man, they completely ruin flow.

airbox FTW. You can still get MEAN induction sound with an airbox, my induction noise is rediculous. :P And still good for 171hp at the wheels.

Regarding putting a backing plate on the bellmouths. Do NOT put the plate hard up against the lip of the trumpet end! Set it back towards the engine end as far as is practical, and have the airbox made to that bigger size/volume.

A lot of the flow still comes from around the sides of the pipes, not just from perpendicular to the face of the bellmouth!

With my intake manifold the trumpets actually extend most of the way into the plenum for this very reason....

Intake.jpg

I see. It appears the ones that only curve that much ^ must be good for performance as the toda ones have a similar design and I trust their design knowledge. I think the ones that curve to about 90 degrees from the entry (if that makes sense) aren't too good because they don't allow flow into the entry. Then the ones that curve right around the full 180 degrees are obviously good, as they probably flow similar to the ones above, if not better.

Thats how its beginning to look to me anyway.

I'm thinking of just hacking up the silvertop plenum for now until I can come up with something better and untill I actually have money to afford something semi-decent.

Hey do you want a spare silvertop airbox to chop and change? I've got one here that you can have for free, I've got a crap load of other silvertop 4age throttle bits here too! just not the throttle bodies, haha.

And BTW, I'm not convinced that the 'mild' flare on the end of the pipe is necessarily best... I'd say it's more to do with that its the easiest/most cost effective way to make them, eg. they can just put a normal circular pipe in and flare the ends without needing to weld anything on, or whatever... I doubt you could stretch the material its made from out much wider than that.... I dont know what the TODA throttles are made from, but yeah. I've seen some that have the full round end, but they're usually machined out of aluminium or whatever, rather than being made from metal pipe. The motec 45mm throttle bodies are CNC machined, and have a 'full round' on them at the ends (see pic below)

Also, there's an advantage to be had with a remotely positioned airfilter.

I remember reading something where a guy did some tests with a manometer, to find high pressure areas at the front of the car. With some experimenting, he found a place to put his intake entrance, so that the pressure behind the airfilter was still *higher* than atmospheric pressure... meaning that not only had it nullified the pressure drop from trying to suck through the air filter, but he was getting a mild supercharging effect! which is pretty sweet. 8)

Beams%20ITB.jpg

if you look in my lotus fing http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10148

you will see the trumpets i made. this was trial and error until i got 4 matching ones. spun them on the lathe no special tools required just made a bearing holder. i got full 180deg turn the lip plus the taper from alloy tube. iv seen stainless ones made usung dies and big presses...