Please educate me, solid diffs.

ProZac

Right, i've been thinking about diff options for my wagon. I've only ever dickied around with IRS setups before, so solid axels are new territory to me.

My specific question goes to the function of a torque tube on the chevette. As far as I can figure out in my head, its there to stop the whole diff twisting as a reaction force to the wheels gripping the road. This is why when Zep put a hilux diff in his Gemini he had a ladder bar made, as it replaces the torque tube the hilux diff is lacking?

Im confused and bamboozed.

The torque tube it also a mount to stop the diff falling foward/twisting around. I'm not sure how other cars do it, haven't really looked into it, but you do need it for a gm/t car unfortunately. Or you could 4-link.

MacDonald Bros racing in Aus do a kit, WEST has it on his wagon.

Ya ^^, If you ever see a Piazza, Gem or Chevette "Launching" you'll notice that the rear doesnt squat down like other cars, it raises, as the diff is pushed down and the torque tube holds tight causing the body to lift..

You should get that piazza boe!

Must show you the Pictures/video and the Celica next time your around..

Cheers,Chris

Interesting about the squat/lift styles. I've never noticed that. I haven't figured out why just yet but my car doesn't make that banging sound anymore when you change gears fast or dump the clutch. I guess it must have been to do with the driveshaft. I always thought i was the torque tube mount but we haven't done anything to the rear yet.

Yea, all my chevettes and the gemini have done it. I thought it was the rubber mount on the torque tube getting old and allowing the torque tube to move around, but it might not be.

Unless it is still doing it and I just can't hear/don't care now haha

how much power u going for?

the chevette stock set up is good for about 5hp.....

anything above sotck look at the gemini

for real power go fourlink and look at the above mentioned piazza

also a good source for brakes

then burn the rest of the evil thing!!!

how much power u going for?

the chevette stock set up is good for about 5hp.....

anything above sotck look at the gemini

for real power go fourlink and look at the above mentioned piazza

also a good source for brakes

then burn the rest of the evil thing!!!

Good for 5hp... or 160-170hp and still going strong!!

For diff upgrades you have several torque tube options, that we have discussed in depth on the GM/T forum:

- Gemini. Open diff. Will go straight it with only a mod to the torque tube mount required.

- Opel Manta A. Open diff. Will go straight in but is around 30mm wider. Need to change panhard rod mounting point to the other side.

- Opel Manta B. Open diff. Same as A but it wider again. Around 50mm?

- Isuzu Piazza. 3 to choose from as far as I know. Two seem similar to Manta in width and fitment, and you can get Open and LSD.

- Isuzu Gemini/Piazza. You get the early Isuzu PF gemini diff and put the Piazza LSD/Brakes on. This gives you benifits of the Piazza unit but width of Gemini one.

- Holden Gemini/Other. People say you can use the later Gemini diff and put in an LSD from a VL commodore, Falcooon or Ryrine. I haven't looked into it much but ozgemini.com is the place to hunt around for more info.

Then theres non-torque tube diffs. I think the Turbo/Irmsher Piazzas had 4 link in the later years but I'm not 100%. Pretty much anything here will require quite abit of modification relating to ladder bar setups or 4 link and if you are going to these lengths you could argue going to hilux and something more common than the likes of the extremely hard to find piazza diff.

Best option:

- Buy heaps of chevette diffs and see how long they last/hope you don't smash the torque tube housing and roll the car :oops::P:D

I wouldn't even bother looking for a Piazza just go for a Hilux or a Borgwarner from a Commodore or a Falcon. Piazza's lsd's are very rare and not that strong. Nothing is a straight fit into a later Gemini housing. 178mm holden salsbury center fits but there's something that needs to be modded cant remember what it is though.

If you get the right Hilux housing you wont need to shorten it if you run the right offset wheels.

Agreed, but while looking at different diff choices several people warned me away from hilux diffs because of the huge weight. Plus the point of going to a super strong diff when your trying to keep weight to a minimum in a car that probably won't ever make more than 200hp.

I'm not sure what power you're aiming for zac, but there might be better options than lux out there?

The Hilux isn't that heavy aye 80kg's with disks. That is to heavy for a car your trying to keep light with around 200hp though. The borgwarner is only just bigger in physical size compared to a stock Gemini diff not sure of the weight of one though. I've never seen a Chevette diff are they real tiny?

I have a complete Piazza,Gemini and a shortened Borgwarner I should weigh them all :idea:

Current aim is the g161 from the gemini 'round the back... Eventual goal is an N/A quad cam VG30.

Ive got a spare chevette diff, they're definatly heavier than 30kg i rekon, needs 2 people to move around easily, but then again i am a weak nerdy cunt ;).

I'm thinking commonwhore stuff mught be the go, to be honest im not to worried about having drums on the back still, just as long as the diff isnt going to snap on me :).

But untill i break what is in there, not going to do a damn thing! ;)

Cheers all for you input.

If you get the right Hilux housing you wont need to shorten it if you run the right offset wheels.

True story! Mine is only 10mm wider on each side. All good

Oh mean boe, where'd you get that diff??! :P

Some dodgy cunt in a hick town :P