radiators

sentra

i want to be able to do trackwork and doghnuts in my rotary for hours at a time,

ignoring pass configurations, materials

i allways assumed a few things: 1 being +thickness = +cooling ability , the extra distance for air to travel and the fins pitch would be reasonably neligiable in the real world.

seems lots of people are adiment that +thickness = futile for a number of reasons which sound reasonable enough, and if your going to reply youl all ready know them so i wont bother typing them out.

i personally think their all full of shit and trying to justify being tightarse

but theres enough comments about it to make me ask before spending 4 weeks wage on a friggen radiator

cheers

I got a three core built up. I talked to heaps of rad guys who told me all this shit blah blah blah didnt know. I talked to one on to it as guy who said a few points you may find interesting.

Copper radiators can cool better but usually have less rows than alloy.

Alloy ones look nicer but for the same size and row number cool worse.

Alloy can/do however often have more rows installed under the same surface area so cool better.

Basiacally a cast engine ill need more cooling than an alloy one. Rotas could be a diff story tho. I recomend you just buy the 3core series 5 replacemwent rad that a guy on trademe sells... if he still does em.. they were cheap as for what they were.

Check here... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=121869

He also said some cool shit about electric fans and how wank wank they were which I then confirmed when I went electric and my temp raised. lol

Another way of getting more cooling is to increase the volume your pipes can hold.

Sorry just answered a whole lot of shit then realised I dont even know what you are really asking???

I guess the width would be relavant but the amount of extra cooling it does may be invalid.

And uncle jake, are the electric ones that good? Where do you mount them?

They are stunning if you get held up at the start line with a red flag. The circulate at the same rate (60 litres per minute I think) regardless of engine revs and it is when parked that engines can get really hot IMHO.

I have removed the impellor from the mechanical waterpump and only use it as an entry port for the water. That also buys you extra room between the radiator and the front of the engine for an electric fan. Keeping the superior mechanical fan would be a bit tricky in my scenario.

The EWP just hangs in the bottom radiator hose - I have not mounted mine to the body at all and that has not caused me any issues to date.

They are about the same price as a cheap alloy radiator (like the one I bought on Sunday off TardMe) :)

Edit - the EWP circulates at 80 litres per minute. http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=47

i fully agree with jakey, venger used to have mega over heating probs, combination of EWP, big alloy rad (dont know how many core but can find out if you want) and twin electric fans for when your not moving fixed it all.

for track work the big rad and EWP will benefit you for more water volume and constant flow. for burnouts the elecy fans and big rad will do it.

that alloy rad posted up looks ok but the vengers is bigger then that again.

Wasn't there someone going for the donut record who had to give up due to overheating - reckoned the problem wasn't the rad, but the fact that there was no air flow through it due to the fact that it wasn't moving forwards?

I hate elctric fans.. when I was having overheating probs I tried three diff electric fans. None of them were as good as my standadr fan with the shroud on.

never tried one on each side tho, dunno if this is recomended.

my electric fan only cuts n after like 5+minues of idling straight off the track. temp stays constant as a mofo on the water side. oil temp goes up quite a lot though compared to normal driving.

my fan covers half of the radiator, and blows at half speed on it's thermoswitch unless it gets reeeeally hot. seems to drag the temp back down.

in effect, you shouldn't _need_ a fan for most stuff, sut have an electric one for stationary and low speed work. i'v found factory style ones to work ean compared to aftermarket ones etc.

s4 sev radiators are only single core IIRC.

yours is probably half blocked now too with the age of the car etc

i havent noticed a change in running temp since ive switched to an electric fan, it switches on exactly what temp i want it to and would keeps the engine cool enuf in heavy traffic etc. there is always the upside of electric fans aswell, less engine noise, less drag on engine etc.

Thats about what mine was running to when I had trouble.. thats way too hot.

Go threecore. A high pressure cap, antifreeze and go from there. If it still isnt cooling try eliminating bends from the piping and/or making pipes bigger.. then fiddle with electric fans if you wish.

Also dont forget the gauge could be wrong.

that was the computer telling us 125, cooled down really quick though when we came off the track

it is a high pressure cap, sentra probably knows what pressure

The car already has 2 electric fans(subaru legacy I think) which cover 95% of the radiator with a reasonable seal around them

from memory its 20 or 35 psi cap, cleaned 3 row. (i think the pump is probibly not doing much above 6k, for years ive been meaning to make a perspex front cover to have a look at it)

my wording of the question was a bit odd, i cant think of a better way to describe it, what i was trying to ask was, ignoring pass configurations and materials, what is the best way to make a radiator more efficent,

the 3 changable dimensions being width, height, and thickness.

thickness being the most commonly changed. there seems to be alot of argument against increasing the thickness to do with how the heat is absorbed into the passing air mostly in the first few mm of thickness, then all the extra thickness is doing is increasing the resistance of air passing through.

it also seems most people coming up with these facts drive hondas and in the real world what they are saying isnt significant at all. i get the feeling they are trying to justify not getting a decent radiator built.

there was enough comments on it for me to ask about it before parting with my money :) im reasonably convinced increasing thickness = ftw, theres just not many people i know who happen to actually 'really' know what there talking about and arnt trying to sell me a radiator

(i actually met one once at the oaks tavern, riviting stuff)

my posts are fucking long and boring

spam up funny shit to break the tone hey