phils new awesomeness eterna

thminiman

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
What I meant with the manifolds was that if the manifolds themselves will fit between the strut towers, all you need is a flange and pipe, the turbos could be mounted anywhere...... like on top of the cam covers with the oil draining straight into the cover. You're going to be tight on space at best. Then build your intake manifold around the space that's left. Just another useless suggestion.

Something else I forgot, the 30M block doesn't have the oil squirters that the GTO TT block has. I don't know if that's important or not. Maybe find out one day.They can be put in though.

Steve

Going back to this, I pulled apart the TT motor this weekend and it doesn't have the oil squirters - is it only the generation 2 GTO TT 4-bolt mains block which does?

Going back to this, I pulled apart the TT motor this weekend and it doesn't have the oil squirters - is it only the generation 2 GTO TT 4-bolt mains block which does?

Definately all TT blocks have squirters from the factory.

There's always the possibility that the motor could have been rebuilt in the past using an N/A block.

Steve

it's an early 1990 block, perhaps the very first of them didn't? It could have been a rebuilt N/A block with turbo gear, but everything looked original with original gaskets, bearings etc no sign of being rebuilt with any aftermarket gear.

Where would they go anyway? there's no real room for them at the bottom of the V, and I had a quick feel around the base but nothing obvious which resembles oil squirters - I was expecting them to look somewhat the same as E39A oil squirters. Have you got a pic of them and where they go?

yeah for sure. From looking on 3si they seem to have chronic problems with the stock squirters either clogging up and causing oil pressure problems, so they fit new ones which I'll do.

This will be months and months down the line however, I still have to sort out mounting the bugger yet, and finding a damn gearbox for it.

I'm sure you have already considered this but is it the same as the narrow or wide block 4g63? if so (and I know they aren't cheap) but there is a few custon bellhousings out there (eg the guys in the states that do T56's to narrowblock). I'm guessing the b2600 bell housing/rx7 box option wouldn't be strong enough?

not even close haha - there is a big V at the top of the bellhousing also.

The only V6 to share a similar pattern to 4 cylinders is the 6A1x series.

edit, with pics:

6G72

61mlra8.jpg

all the rest, 4G63 wideblock is same as 4G54 shown below

4bellhousingComparison.jpg

I'm confused by the logic of purchasing an expensive bellhousing so that you can run a random as shit expensive (think $2000-3000) gearbox?

First option would have to be the V6 Triton ute obviously, and then the still over-priced but very strong Toyota boxes. Easy to get hold of and at $300-400 they seem link a far better option. A custom bellhousing or adaptor plate will only be afew hundred dollars.

yea an engineer should be able to make you a bellhousing to suit any gbox

dont know any specifinc engineers but the quick drag racing guys etc need steel bellhousings and the 0trctn ex lancer i know had a custom bellhousing made for his 4g to w series gbox here in nz

another thing to think of is shifter position

no point getting something that fits etc to find out ur grabbing gears behind you

(im probly telling you to suck eggs i know)

probably already been said but is there any mitsi auto bell housings you can get a hold of that bolt up to this? as auto bell housings are usually unboltable unlike some manual boxes then just adapter plate that shit up, run a Toyota box cause they will be cheaper then most options said and sweet.

yeah auto bellhousing would be the go if I have no luck finding a manual 2WD triton box or even bellhousing from manual 4WD box.

spence W55 etc has a weak 5th gear, Sam's managed to make his wear down and I'm hoping for more power than his that's for sure. I'm wanting at least an increase in stock power which is 427Nm for the GTO TT engine, let alone MIVEC + TT.

Its not weak its usually just the way people drive them in fifth its not like the gears worn itself beebs. There's 55's etc behind all sorts of race and skid cars with just as much and in many cases more power and torque than you and there fine. Some people lunch them but it takes abit, don't let Sam's fifth gear sway you as its not a super common thing and easily fixed if you have confidence to whip the box open. You have seen how Sam drives his car and its not going to break in a hurry. They are cheap and if you can't find a Triton one whats the better option? a 2-3k gearbox?