V8Pete's twin 205

V8Pete

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concurr.

And yea. Pretty much fault = engine. Plus it's got a weird knock in the suspension randomly - it seems to re-settle, gotta have a look at that eventually.

front end?

swaybar link rod, bottom joint. they're gay

gotta jack it up jsut a bit, and get in there with a bar to find the play. Mines been like it forever. gets wofs coz they jack it up hard to find it, but by that stage it's got a bit of laod on it etc.

front end?

gotta jack it up jsut a bit, and get in there with a bar to find the play. Mines been like it forever. gets wofs coz they jack it up hard to find it, but by that stage it's got a bit of laod on it etc.

Yep. Front. It's pretty random though - happens when turning, but it's not at a specific point. Doesn't physically feel like it moves loads, just goes CLONK.

V8Pete - after all that research you finally painted the garage floor!

It looks like a great place to work. Choice

Lol, $600 worth of paint later. It's not meant to be that light either. Athens Grey my arse. I feel guilty wearing muddy shoes in there now. :lol:

306 clunky in the front left particularly under brakes going over bumps. I jacked it up and could wiggle the strut. Does that = top mounts? What else should I do to rule out other things? Nothing else seemed to move. It wiggles in the horizontal(?) direction as if it's some steering thing, but there's no play in the steering arms.

Now I know why rear sway bars in pugs look kinda like axles. If you take photos of parts on your freshly painted garage floor it kind of looks like an advertisment with a white background - real flash styles.

And that flyweeeheeel looks considerably heavy.

Haha. Should take pics of cars in there like a studio thing. And socks.

Apparently the flywheel's actually quite light. Lighter than an 8v flywheel, but more friction surface. It's got factory lightening groove things. 7 kg rings a bell, but we only have kitchen scales that go up to like 2 kg.

front end?

Yep. Front. It's pretty random though - happens when turning, but it's not at a specific point. Doesn't physically feel like it moves loads, just goes CLONK.

yuh that'll be the sausage. also check your front subframe's actually tight etc etc

Apparently the flywheel's actually quite light. Lighter than an 8v flywheel, but more friction surface. It's got factory lightening groove things. 7 kg rings a bell, but we only have kitchen scales that go up to like 2 kg.

Stand on barthroom scales with and without Flywheel FTW. Don't do poose inbetween time.

Does the new mastercylinder match the new calipers for bore/stroke aow?

More or less hopefully/no. Will probably have to adjust booster/pushrod/whatever a bit.

Old m/cyl bore = 20.64 mm

New m/cyl bore = 23.8 mm

Old caliper bore = 48 mm

New caliper bore = 54 mm

The m/cyl's supposed to be for a thing with 57 mm caliper pistons, and the 54 mm things are meant to have a 22.2 mm m/cyl, but they're harder to get than calipers in NZ. Brake shop guy reckoned I wouldn't notice the difference.

Any idea how much I'll have to adjust it by?

Sorry boe - As far as I am aware there is nothing that you can adjust to overcome a mis-matched bore/stroke/caliper piston arrangement.

I haven't done the caluclations on your set up but one of three things will happen:

1) You wont notice a thing

2) The pedal travel will be very short and 'hard'

3) The pedal travel will be too long and 'soft'

You need to factor your rear brakes into the equation too.

EDIT: You should probably be OK with the fronts. Are you changing the rear calipers too?