V8Pete's twin 205

V8Pete

No need to change the rear brakes - they're the same in pretty much every pug - afaik the 306 gti6 rears are identical to the 205 rears? Or comparable at least.

I've read that running 306 gti6 callipers with the 306 mc and no compensators works well... not sure though. I think it was that way, I could be so incredibly wrong... :oops:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to change the rear brakes - they're the same in pretty much every pug - afaik the 306 gti6 rears are identical to the 205 rears? Or comparable at least.

If there are three different mastercylinder bore sizes i would have thought that there would be three different rear caliper/wheel cylinder sizes?

Just guessing.

If there are three different mastercylinder bore sizes i would have thought that there would be three different rear caliper/wheel cylinder sizes?

Just guessing.

Probably 3 different compensators. 205s with disc rears have some fixed pressure reduction thing, 306s have a load-sensing thing with a spring, then there's the ones with ABS and/or drums to throw in the mix.

Sorry boe - As far as I am aware there is nothing that you can adjust to overcome a mis-matched bore/stroke/caliper piston arrangement.

I haven't done the caluclations on your set up but one of three things will happen:

1) You wont notice a thing

2) The pedal travel will be very short and 'hard'

3) The pedal travel will be too long and 'soft'

You need to factor your rear brakes into the equation too.

EDIT: You should probably be OK with the fronts. Are you changing the rear calipers too?

Not changing rears.

My money's on short and hard since it's a bigger m/cyl than the one for those calipers. I don't think I'll mind it that way.

Some people who've done it reckon the 205 booster is a bit different, so need to adjust it a bit otherwise it gets ahead of itself and slams on the brakes before your foot touches the pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

Before:

6apm494.jpg

After:

4tqg00y.jpg

Widetrack FTW.

Haven't taken it for a fang yet - was dark and hungry and would've had to move the Camira to get to move the 306 to get to the 205 'The Castle' stz. Also noticed broken fuel line hose clamp so thought I probably should replace that before I go fanging. Although I did just put in a fire extinguisher, but would rather not have to use it.

So now it has 309 GTI rear axle, new pads and rotors all 'round, 206/306 HDI front calipers and 266 mm rotors, 405 T16 master cylinder.

Clutch = next weekend/na

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP for the 205 thread.

Kudos to V8Pete for his help pulling my 309 gti rear beam apart.

I've binned one of the needle "bearings" (I use the term loosely) I'll try to snap a pic of the other tomorrow.

There was basically nothing left but a pile of maroon dust on one side, and a half bearing shell which was literally nothing more than a semi circle. The other side at least had needles. Which were broken, angled wrongly, etc.

Hilarious stuff. I don't think it was actually doing anything at all.

Looking into either getting 306 trailing arms, or getting these ones fix0red on a lathe (grooved). Bearings aren't too hard to manufacture (got a friend who can get them done), just working out the most cost effective method.

Oh, and DEFINITELY going with phosphor bronze / oilite bearings. I want them to last more than 3 years.

• 3 weeks later...

4msn2g6.jpg

Mi16 clutch and flywheel, interceptor 'box, new linkages and cable = in just in time for trackday. Can actually spin the wheels and not just the clutch now and no more worn synchroness. Held together for 734 km so far. Now I need to clean the bloody garage.

Slower than a Daihatsu :(

1t94p2.jpg

maccin boe.

have you got coil packs and shit running as well or jsut clutch etc in?

also, fuck that shed is so mean. so hospital like

Just clutch at the moment. Tossing up doing coil packs and Megasquirt first with standard intake, iron out teething shit, then changing to 4AGE shit later, or get all the 4AGE shit done first then do the whole lot in one fell swoop.

I'll take a pic of the yuck I left on the floor on the weekend maybe.

Edit: Oh, and new clutch cable pw00ns.