V8Pete's twin 205

V8Pete

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Not too sure yet, just trying to get ideas. The 3sge has a dizzy in the back of the head (when its facing the right way :P ) which will probably hit the firewall or the heater blower if I'm lucky, then I can keep it and scrap the heater

If it won't fit then I'll have to adapt a crank trigger wheel, GM and Ford EDIS stuff seems popular. Pretty much have to mock the engine up to find out what I'll be doing.

Just realized you had the missing tooth flywheel, that makes life easy. Can you not run an OEM trigger with MS?

Did you end up getting the stim?

So yeah...

I want to run wasted sprak with Bosch VR crank angle sensor and 4 GM LS1 coilpacks with internal ignitors.

Any clever fellows feel like telling me exactly what/how to mod the MSII V3.0?

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... wheel.html

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_LS1.htm

^ look vaguely relevant.

Chur.

• 5 months later...
From personal experience of the 3.5 million issues I had with my old 205...

Shagged wishbones will cause the car to veer off to one side under braking, but it will also cause the car veer off in the other direction under hard acceleration (from steady throttle). In fact I used to be able to change lanes on the motorway just by adding throttle/backing off...

Shagged steering rack can give similar issues, but you'll spot that easily as there'll be huge amounts of play in the steering when sat stationary.

Rear trailing arm bushes are notorous for collapsing, once water gets in past the seals it grinds everything away and in extreme cases will fuck the trailing arm. Easily spotted by extreme amounts of camber, usually on one wheel. Will generally track all over the place, not just under braking.

Sticking caliper could still be the problem. I had that on both fronts, testing cold brakes showed nothing, but in driving I found they were just dragging enough to heat everything up, then they would stick really badly. Mine would stick on though.

Other things I could suggest, rear beam mounts knackered? If one was really shagged then perhaps the beam is moving off-centre under brakes?

Front strut top-mounts as UJ suggested? It is a MacPhearson strut at the front and these again give up the ghost regularly, although usually you'd be accompanied by loud clunks when driving over rough roads.

I'll try and think of a few more, I pretty much replaced everything but the shell on mine...

I thought I'd quote this here instead so it doesn't disappear at the end of the month...

I don't get the wandering under acceleration, or any play, but am going to change wishbones to 309 ones with new bushes soon.

Rack seems alright.

Did the trailing arm bearings less than a year ago and mounts looked solid as.

:cry:

I have noticed the rear ride-height looks a tiny bit uneven on the driveway, but the driveway's not flat either. Maybe I should pull the beam apart and put it back together again and see what happens.