Rover V8

rusty260z

Have recently bought a P6 Rover V8 Auto

Few Questions

Any thing/s i should be aware of in taking care of engine / trans etc.

Problems:

Stalls on take off unless a small bit of choke is used, even if warmed up

Bit lacking on go, any reasonably priced mods, say under $1,000

to get some pickup, but it is used everyday so has to be reasonable on fuel.

What do they sound like with a exhaust system, is really loud on motorway speeds etc.

thanks.

sound awesome with an exhaust system due to unique firing order.

nice set of extractors and a 4 barrell holley manifold if you can find one, be aware that there is a difference in manifolds between 3.5ltr and later model 4ltr.

edit:

I've got a very large high torque lucas starter motor off my old one, and i also have a high volume oil pump kit if your interested.

The head off the sd1 flows better and has bigger ports, best is the vitesse or vanden plas fuel injected if you can find it.

Or search for the 3.9 or 4.2 engines.

The twin SU carbed sd1 engine makes about 170hp and the carbs are good for over 200 with rejetting. So get the good head, get it ported get a good exhaust and extractors, extractors may be the expensive bit.

Not sure i'd say the p76 is far superior to the 3.5. The 3.5 has a better bore/stroke ratio and apparently makes a much better tuned engine.

However saying that, the p76 v8's have a lot more torque, bolt in etc. The Range Rover guys use them a lot because of this.

I know of a P5B in wellington with a p76 v8 bored to 5 litres, god it sounds so so good!

Do they really have a diff firing order to most v8's? I've always wondered why they sound like they do.

get some meke cunt to set up the s.u carbies. also, timing etc, bit of headwork, cam perhaps....

search for a leyland p76 engine.... far superior to the 3.5

got someone sorting out timing as soon as i find manual with timing info

carbies tune soon

also been suggested a stainless steel exhaust, will see ow much it'll be.

dont wna change engine as its running pretty well apart from above

apart from holley would other carbs make a difference, would sidyes work, or to hard to mount/tune.

from what I have been told, and this is from a guy that raced these all the time, the SD1 heades (the factory ones) flow better than any aftermarket ones avaible. And that was a flow tested fact.

If you really want to talk about these moors then let me know, He can talk for hours, while I keep giving him shit about how ugly sd'1s are

4.4l of awesomeness

200hp and 380nm of torque.

There's also the TVR 5l version that I had in my griff. Quoted at 320bhp ISTR. Was fast enough to piss the big boys off on the autobahns where they're restricted to 250k's.

Couldn't hear the radio with the roof off, though.

Unscrew the dashpots on the top of the carbs, they need to have oil in them to stop the venturi opening too quickly on flooring it. Don't remember what the level should be but regular motor oil does the trick.

Standard old RV8 with twin SUs only has about 135HP but makes for a real nice cruiser. Used to have one in my van.

Plenty of info on the RPI website http://www.v8engines.com/

found out the 4.4 leyland is actually wider than the 3.5 rover for those that are interested. The injection head with cams exhaust extractors and some porting usually makes around 200hp.

Seen many different figures for rover v8's but what usually comes up is 160hp for p6, 170 for sd1's, 200 for leylands

from Wiki: The Rover engine was heavier but stronger than the Buick engine, with a dry weight of about 170 kg (375 lb). It was first offered in the 1965 Rover P5B saloon, initially making 160 hp (DIN) (118 kW) @ 5200 rpm and 210 ft·lbf (285 N·m) of torque @ 2600 rpm on 10.5:1 compression.