a couple of welding qs

dylan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my experience with disposible bottles is shit. cant remember where i got the bottle from.

but they hold a reasonable amount of *insert inert gas here*

problem is they dont seal for shit. used once, used fuckall, leaked rest of gas.

fuckin gaybar. the way is to get your own bottle (i bought mine stolen recovered from nz police) scratch all the shit off/ paint it, make a sticker "HellRaizer Engineering" and get it filled. every 10 yrs or so you have to get it tested also. works out heaps cheaper than renting if you dont use very much gas/handyman stz

Definitely get a mig for wat ur doing, as it is quite easy to pick up as a noob. I just started welding this year, and have nearly finished my exhaust for the staz and havnt had any major probs at all. If ur super keen theres a couple of good books i saw at the library on techniques and stuff too. My 2c

Well, may as well through in my 2c as well. Note I am not a professional at this.

I have spent the last year teaching myself to weld, I bought a $450 mig off trademe (Pioneer, made by Telwin, but their cheep brand). It only has a max and min setting. It has taken some practice but I am sucessfully welding down to 0.6 panel steel without too much problem.

You need to have a minimal gap between joins or it can blow holes that you need to fix up, just take the time to get it fitting right first and you will be OK

It is a gasless mig, so yea it does splatter a bit, seems to be better if the tip is closer to the metal. Most of it comes off with a wire brush, and if you want a better finish the grinder with a flapper wheel works wonders.

I have also bought a autodarkening helmet of trademe, I don't seem to have any issues with it being slow to respond, but I guess I don't use it for large amounts of time so wouldn't notice the effects as much.

See my thread on the car for some results

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

^ aws link.

do your bottles up properly, bleed your lines, dont leave regulators done up and use a spark arrestor other wise your navara is going to get fucked up.

acetylenetruckexplosion.jpg

Incident Description

* This incident happened on Monday the 29th of September 2003. A fitter with a work van left an E size Oxygen and Acetylene cylinder on the back seat of a Toyota dual cab over the weekend. The Acetylene cylinder valve was not fully closed and a leak occurred.

* Over the weekend the Acetylene accumulated in the van. On Monday morning the fitter approached the van and opened the door, a large explosion took place. The ignition may have been caused by either the internal light circuitry, the automatic door control, mobile phone which was on the front seat of the van, or lighting a cigarette. The fitter was also a smoker. He has damage to his ear drums and facial damage