Running In Fresh Engines

Jonny

Disconnect the spark plugs then turn it over on the starter to let the oil pump get some oil around. Watch the oil pressure gauge rise, then put spark plugs back on and start it.

Yup, can also use a drill rather than turning over so that you have used no electrics etc.

i recon ya shoud drive it how its intended to be driven.Give it some stick if ya gonna be thrashing it, not hardcore of course, i dont know.Cam would agree with me im sure

^ word. what we pretty much reccomend at work.

when engines are rebuilt, they're run upto oil pressure, started, run a little, stop, heck timing, fluid levels etc, then road test etc.

I'd go for load on the engine, o seat the rings, then oil change, and run it as you intend to carry on. do it. we never have any probs, neither has the old man or any of his colleagues for 25yr ++

I always ran mine in under load. Not thrashing but hard acceleration. Cruising it around is the worse you can do. Load is good becausing running in is basically hard wearing the rings into the bore.

Thats why running in oil is just really shit oil which makes your engine wear quickly ie 500kms rather than 2000kms..

never use running in oil with a turbo engine as it totally fucks your turbo.

good hard run up the hills or some stop and start hard acceleration is my opinion. This is always a classic case of different opinions. :wink:

Think i'm gonna do it the way that link on the NZPC forums says to do it, makes sense to me, might wait a few weeks 'till i get my full, then tow it out to a back road and have a midnight fang to run it in. Just gotta try not get snapped, the small as town i live in is the cop HQ for the whole region.

You don't have to do anything illegal to run in an engine. I kept under the speed limit easily, just by using lower gears and letting it rev out a bit to 4500rpm (redline 6000rpm) in the first few gears, and just cycling acceleration and deacceleration in the same gear and giving in WOT a few times (not that it would accelerate fast with WOT :twisted: ).

Then we took it out on the open road for about 20kms just driving normally and trying not to keep it at a constant rpm/load for too long.

Once I tweaked the ignition timing it was good to go and Pete drove it another 300kms on the open road to finish running it in. We used just some cheap Valvoline SF grade 20W50 oil to run it in. Keep using a mineral oil for the next few thousand kms at least, then switch to whatever oil you wish to use.

I always ran mine in under load. Not thrashing but hard acceleration. Cruising it around is the worse you can do. Load is good becausing running in is basically hard wearing the rings into the bore.

Thats why running in oil is just really shit oil which makes your engine wear quickly ie 500kms rather than 2000kms..

never use running in oil with a turbo engine as it totally fucks your turbo.

good hard run up the hills or some stop and start hard acceleration is my opinion. This is always a classic case of different opinions. :wink:

^ word.

If you are really anal with your pinto when you prime the oil system do it with the tappet cover off this way you confirm that eack rocker is getting oiled as it should. This should slso be done whenever the tappest are done.

Thats what i did.

If you are really anal with your pinto when you prime the oil system do it with the tappet cover off this way you confirm that eack rocker is getting oiled as it should. This should slso be done whenever the tappest are done.

Thats what i did.

Look at all those speeling mistakes... what a reatard! :lol:

Running mine in on the road would be illegal cause its deregistered, would having it up on stands n revving it as if you were driving be sweet or do you need the weight of the car to load up the engine?

Go find a farm with a run or a big paddock you can just drive circles round. Wont get many geas outta it but better than nothing.