Chevette Conversion Questions...

CUL8R

Hey guys

I have just aquired a Vauxhall Chevette Hatch , and I intend on Using it for Rallycross/Autocross/Gymkhana...

Most likely going to put the 1256cc & gearbox back in..

Anyway I have a few questions Im sure some of you will know the answers too..

I'd quite like to Put Either Isuzu Piazza or Holden Gemini front brakes at least on it... (Vented rotors as opposed to solid) - Is there anything major involved in that? As I have never done it before :lol:

Also how hard is it to transplant the Gemini 1600 engine and possibly gearbox into the Chevette? As Im pretty sure I can get mates Complete Gemini Wagon Derby car ... (Gemini & Chevette Wagons share floorpans? thus the question...)

Cheers,Chris :twisted:

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea maybe, but the last one I had was a real Screamer - it really liked to rev its wee tits off :lol:

In saying that , I'd prefer the 1600 over it, as its got more power, and I wouldnt mind better almost the same/less weight, as that wee 1256cc is one wide Cast Block..

Theres also the Piazza Engine (SOHC Injected), but its auto and CBF with Computers and the gearbox :P

Ok guys , been doing a fair bit of research...

The Gemini diff by the sounds of things will bolt in , and is the Same measurements as the standard Chevette one (abeit a bit stronger).

The Piazza Diff is slightly wider, but should Bolt up as well...

Also the Gemini Engine should bolt into the Chevettes engine bay, with the gemini mounts being used....

So my Only problem is the Gearbox mounts and Driveshaft..

Can Anyone Either Confirm or Deny any this for me??

Brakes are sorted from what I have already been told..

Which diff are you talking about ?

What about if I just use the Chevette shocks on the Gemini or Piazza Diff??

I only have a Hatch, the Gemini is a Wagon , and the Piazza, well you all know what that is..

Also getting another Chevette for free :P

It involves cutting sections out of the chevette and welding new points in for the shocks to mount to. I have talked to people that have done this mod and it is simply so that the shock travels in a more linear motion being up and down, rather than the non-linear compression of the shocks on an angle. For real world purposes and even track applications I'm sure standard angled shocks will work fine. To mount a piazza diff or if running adjustable shocks, you will want to look into changing them.

Im a believer in doing things the quickest and most simple way (nah not really , just justifying my next bit.. :lol: )

Seeing as I should get the gemini complete, how about if i just cut right through the floorpan and then use the "exsisting mount" still connected to the gemini diff, and cut and shut that onto the Chevette....

Sounds like a plan to me :o:):D