science behind ram tubes...

pies

Different velocity affects power and torque characteristics as I understand.

The intake has pressure waves running through it becuse of the valves opening and closing (this is the cause of reversion). Just like exhaust extrators the intake can be tuned for a particular RPM range so that the energy of the pulses helps fill the cylinder

Helmholtz is interesting but a bit old. Modern gas/fluid dynamics is more accurate

When did stephen hawkins join the fourm?? :twisted:

:lol: if I was Stephen Hawking I'd have a much faster car :wink:

I thought he had a wheel chair. :twisted:

Guessing yours would have a blower :lol:

Anna nicole smith would work. She looks good as a nurse

to many p0eople on holiday with to much time on thie hands.

Speak for your self I'm at work......

Here's some thred content for Sparkle and spam CaM :wink:

The short story is ram tubes are good, to get max effect you need to tune the tube length on a dyno to maximise the benifit.

Stolen from: http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_107746/article.html

The Injection Perfection throttle bodies take bolt-on intake trumpets, and Mike had a whole variety of lengths and designs to play with. We won't show all of the tests - just three. The blue line shows the power with a 14.5 inch intake runner length (from the end of the Weber trumpet through to the intake valve). As you can see, power peaked at 88kW. Pulling these off and swapping to 12 inch intakes took that up to 98kW, while 13.5 inches was the optimal length giving an even 100kW. These changes were made one straight after the other, so it can be said with certainty that swapping intake trumpets gave a change of 12kW!

107746_12mg.jpg

Yup, fine - getting good results from 13.5 inch trumpets. But were they going to remain bare and open - or were filters going over the top? Mike believes that sock-type filters wrecks the flow into the belllmouths, so he intended using an airbox over them. But what would this do to the intake tuning? He made a cardboard airbox and placed it over the intakes.

107746_13mg.jpg

The red line shows the starting point - using long runners and with a bit of a wobbly power curve, peaking at 98kW. The blue line shows what the airbox did - lifting power at one point but causing a 5kW dip in the curve at higher revs. So yup, an airbox sure does change the tuning characteristics! So what about putting a feed tube to the airbox? A short 3-inch intake duct was fitted, with the power then made shown by the green line. The power curve was smoothed out, still peaking at 98kW but being a few kilowatts down at lower rpm.