Help

spacie

OK so i started up the wagon 2day, put it on choke, and it did its usual "OH BO IS THAT A TANG?!" idle. I noticed some white smoke coming outta the zorst but didnt really think much of it. Took off up the driveway then the car started dying, so i gave it some more gas (the driveway being a hill & everything) and it stalled. I tried starting it like 15 times but theres just nothing. U can hear the starter motor going etc but theres just no combustion :( so yeah i pushed it back down the hill & checked the engine bay...theres some oil on the underside of the intake manifold & all over the dizzy cap...anyone know wat the problem mite b??? i checked the oil level twice & 4 some reason the oil level is right on MAX :?

Sounds like my car everyday. lol

Seriously though, was doing similar thing, ex had snapped one of my dizzy caps' clips off, so it doesnt sit right anymore. Taped it up churrr bro..

So is it turning over?? or just nothing?? Got petrol? You didnt flood it did you? haha

Was it a really damp night?

At whangamata during beach hop I couldnt start my car in the mornings, same as yours, starter turned but no fire, and it had never happened before and was mint afterwards. Pretty certain it was just moisture in the dizzy cap, cause it was real wet over there with all the floods and shit that weekend

hmmm i jumped in @ about 3pm, tried starting it & it started the 3rd time after i gave it some revs :?

the liquid all over the dizzy cap seems 2 b radiator water now, cos it has the green tint of antifreeze :? im sure it was oil b4 :?

drove absolutley fine :?

if you are leaking oil and your oil level is constant it means coolant is getting into your oil. If you have a shagged head gasket you will have no compression either (in one or more cylinders).

Also. I have owned a 4 cylinder that has a poked headgasket that would run. But as one cylinder had water seeping into it over night it ran like a sack of shit till that cylinder drove out the water and was hot enough to evapourate any that sept in.

Also if coolant managed to get to your dizzy (not familiar with layout of engine) is it possible you pressurized your coolant (head gasket again) and sprayed it out a tired hose/join or something?

hmmm nah ive replaced all the hoses...and it runs fine, normal power level etc i reckon (i would know, same engine as my Mk1) although ive got no idea wat revs its pulling when i drive. would help if one of the temp gauges was working too (aftermarket one goes off the clock after about 2 mins of driving)

(aftermarket one goes off the clock after about 2 mins of driving)

Um... Warning sign?

If you are using the temp sender (the bit that screws into the block) that came with your aftermarket water temp guage then its accurate.

Anyway. Hope it is just damp contacts. Would a spray of crc help? to expell moisture?

(aftermarket one goes off the clock after about 2 mins of driving)

Um... Warning sign?

If you are using the temp sender (the bit that screws into the block) that came with your aftermarket water temp guage then its accurate.

Anyway. Hope it is just damp contacts. Would a spray of crc help? to expell moisture?

sender might be earthing out on something. they need a reasonable amount of clearance to work properly... dad's ferguson does the same thing, due to this

sounds to me like a headgasket, white smoke out the exhaust, radiator fluid coming out the side, oil leaking... no compression. all tell tale signs. Had the car been used much/ run regulary before you got it? because if not the headgasket would have been in a fairly eroded state and wouldnt have taken much to pop.

compressions fine cos she drives all good. only done 75000 ks so yeah mite be eroded head gasket. i figure that yes, the moisture on the dizzy was shorting the leads etc but WHY is there moisture there?theres obviously a leak somewhere, and yeah, could b the head gasket aye, but it drives sweet az :?

the 4k i had with a rooted head gasket dove fine. Just went through alot of water. It was just hard to start (cranked but took ages to fire), ran like a sack of spuds to start with (few secs), used a bit of water... but otherwise drove ok (even idled).

However,

A mechanic had looked at it before I purchased and did a compression test... 3 cylinders were fine, one was stuffed.

You can have a blown head gasket and it still run ok (for an old car!).

Get a compression test done. Or just replace the head gasket (and all other gaskets you get with a 'valve regrind' gasket set) its a pushrod 1600 isnt it? - shouldn't be too bad - I managed in the back yard with a rusted in head bolt... (and Im a mechanical leper)

its a pushrod 1300

hmmm bugger ahh well im not completley mechanically retarded, i'll go thru & replace all that shit

sucks cos Dads spending so much money on this thing, and its for my lil sista WHO CANT EVEN DRIVE YET :x i have 2 b her goddamn chaffuer :rolleyes:

ah well, much more fun 2 drive than the G Lant, cant wait till i get my Esky back :D

if you cant seem to pin-point the problem (bear in mind we are guessing here - havent seen the car and all...)

Get a call out mechanic to have a look, he will do the compression test etc and give you an accurate idea of the problem. Otherwise you might spend $$ on the gasket set (and time replacing it) to find it was something else.

Next step - The library. Get out (or photocopy) the troubleshooting and head gasket replacement parts. Always good to have a reference.