what kind of turbo?

corrupt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go turbo for sure with the right turbo and manifold I think you will find that lag wont really be an issue. Your not looking for huge power so you dont need a huge turbo a TD04-l, TD05-h, T25, T28, or even a T3 will be awsome and will all make boost well under 3000rpm with the right manifold and exhaust. Me personally I'm going to be useing a R32 skyline ball bearing turbo for my next setup. Many people use them on 1.6L engines with good results.

im just experimenting atm aye, turbo was the plan at the start and im not fully writing it off, just like the idea of supercharging for some reason. im not after the most hp i can get, if i was, id go buy something newer with the power from standard, as il get the most bang for buck that way. im just taking the advice of RT as he has said is the past that it is the most cost effective power mod, with effectively half the work of a turbo setup. also wont be hard to sell the sc if it turns out shit and i decide to turbo so no loss there.

yeh, im gonna have a shot at it, then if it doesnt work out go to a turbo. the cars powerful enuf as it is (for me) does everything i want it to, can pull nice skids etc. id rather a more linear boost curve to one that kicks in suddenly aswell. also in my mind i see supercharging more economical on fuel and becuase of a more linear boost curve, ill have less fueling problems cause im running a carb with an electric fuel pump and rising rate regulator.

A supercharger wont be as economical as a similar sized turbo.

A guy on here supercharged his 1600. Might wanna ask him qs if ya get stuck. Think his names Chris. Has a orange mk2 and from Welly.

Also if you do go back to turbo be aware there are many differant (5+) TD05-h turbos off the various mitsi crew. Some bigger than others.

yeh, ive read his thread and seen nismo capri on rts site etc. im gonna go with a setup like the capri on rts site, looks pretty simple etc, hardest thing would be customising the crank pully, and i have someone in mind to do that for me.

anyone know what sized crank pulley a car with an sc14 has factory and how many psi it runs?

Search google dude. I had a quick look and people say about 5-8psi. You can never trust 'people' tho.. heh.

Engine = 1G-GZE from 80's Toyota Supra, Soarer or Crown (Most common in NZ in crowns - always auto tho).

The sc14 is quite in-efficient but I like the thought of people supercharging engines simply because its different to the usual turbo set up. Don't get me wrong, I want to turbo my engine because its more practical and will make more power for what I spend on it - plus it will be cheaper to get more power out of it. But I am gutted that it will sound similar to a gsr/wrx/evo/gtx/sti/gts-t (the list goes on forever) with all the spool/pish etc.