Volodkovich's 1981 Mini 1000

thminiman

Thanks man, respect to the minis!

Yea not sure on engine yet, i have a heap of blocks lying around so thats no problem, i already have a sc12 supercharger, pistons cost the same, so really its a matter of preference. Blown 998 will be harder to tune though. But imo cooler. Will do a poll later to help me decide.

Anyway, about suspension - shocks are 2nd hand ex-aussie (they are $200 each new here, fuck that!), bottom arms and castor arms are ex-england (think hudderfield mini spares), rear camber brackets are from PD automotive in Upper hutt (Phil Dean, he builds a lot of the engines for the mini7 series) and finally the hi-los are from http://www.minibitz.co.nz (You can get all of this stuff from him by the way)

A lot of hassle, and worth quite a bit, but jeez does it make a difference. You thought a standard mini handles well...this thing makes me shit my pants. Literally dont have to slow down for corners

bit of both, has a little area in a corner with a counter n stuff, has a few cars in the rest of it, its only about 10m by 10m anyway, one of the cars I looked at, he said was costing 20g just for him to put together, they did the paint and engine...

What adjustable things? you know hi-los change ride height,

Front bottom arms gives full camber control (boso!), front castor arms gives full castor control, and rear camber brackets gives camber control to the trailing arms.

It is a much better idea getting turnbuckle style bottom arms like mine, as on mini's there is generally a lot of difference from side to side, and while the fixed neg. camber bottom arms will increase your camber, its only by a fixed amount each side. You will still probably end up with quite different values.

Adjusting your mini's front end to around 1.5deg negative camber (for 10"s) and around 5 degrees castor (im running slightly more, because i like it to be quite self centering) will make quite a difference in both turn in and grip. Your not mean't to go over around half a degree neg camber when running 13"s, i think its because of the lower profile, the tyre cant deform as well.

mean

hi-los are awesome. nothing like a 60mm ride height...

cops never look twice either hah.

well worth the effort of installing. make sure you do the knuckle joints when you do them tho.

cool mini man, looks like it's been a bit of a mission...

as alays, seeing mean minis, or any minis, makes me want another so bad....

oh well

awsome man

What adjustable things? you know hi-los change ride height

the adjustable high-lows. Where in the suspention system do you fit them in? i cant quite get my head around them. lol

and:

as always, seeing mean minis, or any minis, makes me want another so bad....

do it... you know you want to

ok,

front: sits vertically, above the top arm. you will see a cone that connects the arm to the rubber doughnut (which is up inside the subframe). I'm sure you know the rubber doughnut acts like the spring on a normal car. The length of this cone dictates ride height (just like spring height). At the bottom of cone is knuckle that sits in the top arm. Its just a Steel ball in nylon cup.

back: the same as the front, but the cone is horizontal. It acts against the trailing arm through the same nylon cup, which is offset to the pivot. With hi-los they are the same front and rear, but you will get a rod that lengthens the rear.

Be careful though, as with the rear low, the cones aren't captive. To get around this, i'm probably going to turret the rear shock mounts. You can get shortened rear shocks, but they cost too much. You can also have cable ties to stop the arm drooping too low.

I'm going to have to machine down my front hi-lo's, its not sitting low enough. Its low, but when i chop my fronts a little higher (and get new flares), i can go lower. They are at their lowest setting at the moment.

ok sweet, i get it, i might just look into it a bit deeper before i peice my car back together cos it will be easier to install that way.

just remember for the front to buy some new nylon cups as the knuckle tends to wear out and the arse end of the cup falls out causing nothing to hold it up and she sits on the bumpies. like one of the ones on this mini and both on mine. if that hapens your knuckles chew and mis-shape them selves so you might pay to get new ones before you go ahead.

in other news this puppy is mean. induction roar ftw. dumped out. not allowed anymore than 2 people in it. also, blown 998. you can do eet.

• 8 years later...