head gaskets

davidian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine that it would still depend on the compression you are running. Are you going to strengthen the block? You don't want to blow holes in the side!! I'd drop it a little if I were you. What about shortened rods, that should do it...

Drop the compression a bit in the head. Would be easiest way.

Run in the 8s somewhere. Really depends what turbo you re going to use.

in the head how? links? :lol:

meh if im gonna fork out for forgies n shit, wanna run at least 10-12

but like you said depends on the turbo... well i gotta get a T28 for one of the pintos *cough* but the forgies one will probably see a T3 RB20 stz or something that pops up for "cheap"

sorry i misread... meant lb's

im keen to work the head but not soooo much to drop the cr in the head. Pref to be able to use the same setup without the turbo if need be, or if at some stage i need to sell it/turbo separately

dunno if its feasible tho as im still learning about the shit

8to1 s about what you want to run for a turbo car and will still drive alrite as n/a. as a ROUGH rule every 7psi of boost equals 1 point of compression.. so if you start with 8to1 and run 21psi its upto 11to1. this is a very budget way to look at it but easy to understand.

11to1 would be pushing it on 98 u'd really wanna run av once you get up there.

the way to drop compression in the head is you mill bits out of the head where the piston comes up to get the compression ratio you want, but you can't take that much off

cheers boss

yeah my engine builder told me roughly anything over 10.5-11 needs av

but yeah ill probably look at building the engine then running it in on a carb, then after its run in, sort a ECU and tune it as im guaranteed to fuck around for ages wiring it up and trying to get it started, so dont wanna fuck it if i go straight to a ECU/turbo

I'd imagine that it would still depend on the compression you are running. Are you going to strengthen the block? You don't want to blow holes in the side!! I'd drop it a little if I were you. What about shortened rods, that should do it...

How would you strengthen the block?

How would you strengthen the block?

Pobably sleeve it.

or go hard out like some of the v8 boys and pour concrete down the water jackets ;)

Drop the compression a bit in the head. Would be easiest way.

Run in the 8s somewhere. Really depends what turbo you re going to use.

in the head how? links? :lol:

meh if im gonna fork out for forgies n shit, wanna run at least 10-12

but like you said depends on the turbo... well i gotta get a T28 for one of the pintos *cough* but the forgies one will probably see a T3 RB20 stz or something that pops up for "cheap"

Ask Rt but Im pretty sure you could run that kinda boost from a standard pinto with slightly lower compression.

This is what I would do.

Build a head that you are happy with. Ported, springs whatever. Lower the compression in the head. Now get a stock standard bottom end and bolt ya worked head and turbo stuff on. It should run at 12psi low revs.

That way you have a realitivly cheap engine for now. If you decided it wasnt fast enough you could now build a stronger forged bottom end using a 205 block. Bolt ya head on and away ya go. if you decide you want alot more boost you can also drop the compression more with the pistons.

or go hard out like some of the v8 boys and pour concrete down the water jackets ;)

hah that'd be lunacy

so whats the best way (order) to go about it? get pistons/rods, then work the head... then work out from these how thick the gasket needs to be?

Ask Rt but Im pretty sure you could run that kinda boost from a standard pinto with slightly lower compression.

This is what I would do.

Build a head that you are happy with. Ported, springs whatever. Lower the compression in the head. Now get a stock standard bottom end and bolt ya worked head and turbo stuff on. It should run at 12psi low revs.

That way you have a realitivly cheap engine for now. If you decided it wasnt fast enough you could now build a stronger forged bottom end using a 205 block. Bolt ya head on and away ya go. if you decide you want alot more boost you can also drop the compression more with the pistons.

thing is, im not gonna have a new car to put it in till later this year, so i thought id build this engine bit by bit over time. So im thinking i should make it as buletproof as i can to start with now rather than later. I would like something 200-230 hp range, and i dont think standard bottom and crappy trubo will do that or last long...

Ok. in that case I think the cosworth pistons are a good start if they are standard forged.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 042555.htm

find out about them first.

I wouldnt bother doing rods unless you wanna rev the fucker which I supose you will have to for that power. You could just find some 205rods and get them stress relieved.

It all depends where you want to start. If it was me I would find a block. Check the bores. rebore it or whatever. Buy the pistons, rods, bearings, high flow oil pump/h20 pump etc. Grind the crank and put the bottom end togther. with ARP bolts. Then the bottom end is done. Could stroke it a bit if you wanted.

Now work the head with a new turbo cam and sort ya turbo size out. For a pinto with big power I would suggest a Garrett GT 28 60R which is good upto about 300horsies. But will set you back about 2gs. yummy turbo but really not needed;).

Sort ya oil feed lines and oil return etc.

I would think you are going injection so I would then find some nice sized injectors. 550cc at least would be my guess. A bigger fuel pump and get a nice plenum made up with lareg throtle body, Mondeo ones are 70mm.

Also gotta now do diff and gearbox as you will have enough power now to blow them to peices.

This is a kinda quick rundown but yeah thats what id do if I was gonna spend alot of coin on a pinto.