head work

corrupt

i already have a good compressor, so i might buy a little grinder thing as you guys say and have a crack at it myself, i just never thought of that as someone once said to me that they had to be "cc'd" or something and only the pros can do that. but come to think about it, thats only probably for the hardcore race engines like balancing n shit.

cc'ing isn't as difficult as you would think. they just use parrafin oil etc and check that each port holds the same volume don't they? although that's more for when you're grinding at your combustion chambers i thought.

just give them a quick tidy up, removing all the sharp edges etc.

just be careful not to mash the valve seats or anything... maybe chuck an old set of valves in just to prevent that??

see if you can get it run up on a flow bench before and after to see if you've made much difference :twisted:

If you haven't already- Go get the David Vizard book on 'How to modify your ford ohc'. I used his mini book as a guide. I have the Dave Hamill book but it's not really as good as the Vizard book from memory. I still haven't managed to pick a copy up for myself yet so let me know if you find a supplier.

It will tell you where to remove material from. The books go into pretty good detail so have a read. It''l build your confidence before you have a go.

cc'd is just for combustion chamber as far as I know. It's basically to ensure you'll have the desired compression ratio. If your remove material from your chamber without a head skim you'll reduce the c.r. and lose power.

You'll still need pros to regrind valve seats and skim the head. The rest you could probably do with the right tools and information.

there is no point in just attacking your head with a grinder thinking you know what you are doing. It's most likely you will make it worse.

If you want to do it yourself it's vital you actually research the head you are porting and find out where the problem areas are. Every head is different.

For a pinto you can pick up good gains rounding off the short side radius and the valve guide boss on the intake and the short side and sharp curve on the exhaust port. Combustion shape is another important area like valve shrouding etc. If you are going to do it do your homework eh.

Remember a good pinto head and a bad one would have over 50hp performance differance.

Pinto heads suck balls standard.

I cc'd my 1600 pinto head. Basically it just tells you the compression. If you cant find a write up on it on the net I can post up.

as for the hardned seats, I wasn't prepared to risk one dropping into my 6 grand engine and fucking it! I haven't seen a lot of valve recession with the pintos, I believe its because of the type of quality iron used. some engines wear out others don't. It's just not an issue, I don't expect my engine to be working in another 25 years. lol

Maybe so, but I don't like bits of seat sticking to my Esslinger valves. I've had seats in engines for years with no problems...

My engine ain't cheap either.

deffently get that book 'How to modify your ford ohc' by david vizard.

a whole book on every aspect of pinto performance including port shapes.

Has cross-section views of standard verses different stages of porting with flow comparasions. its a good guide and he knows his stuff.

1st rule - old cunts know there stuff.

and rt, what kind of clutch set up r u running in capri? i got the cortina running good as but the clutch cant take it once outa 1st gear.

just a heavy duty ceramic centre with a heavy duty pressure plate with progressive springs.. it's not too bad and it as good as you can do before going for a brass button centre..

kris.. fair call but I'd rather have a little head stuck to my valves then a big ring stuck in my pistons lol. :P

Heydoes any one know a good place in Wellington i can get some head work done????

Kerry Lindsay Engine Reconditioners 12 Regent St Petone Lower Hutt 0-4-568-5803

Facsimile 0-4-568-5447

Upper Hutt 5 A Jupiter Gro Upper Hutt 0-4-527-7857

Facsimile 0-4-527-9131

20 Prosser St Porirua 0-4-237-4808

Facsimile 0-4-237-5238

Knows pintos from memory.