Datsun 120y ?TURBO?

DATSIK

Hey I'v got this really wikked datsun 120y (any1 in welly would have seen it round) It's alreddy got a fully worked a12 but I was thinking hey lets put a turbo on it as it doesnt seen as quick as when i first got it.

Does any no if this can be done or has been done?? :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

umm even a $50 A15 transplant will make it quicker :lol:

or a A20 out of a vanette. or the early FWD turbo Sunny might be a good turbo donor if the manifold and crap matches up. by the time youve modded everything to suit (well at least the exhaust) you could have bought a sh engine with more cubes

It's already running twin 40ml webers,80degree race cam,bored out to a 1500, heads been ported polished and plained, fully balanced internals and the engines been blue printed. If you find thats boring you'v got some serious thrill issues.Anyway if i just put in a SR20DET im just joining the rest of flock, I wanna stand out abit. Im not to keen on doing another transplant ,did one on it bout 6 months ago.

what are you cunts on about.

A series never came in a 2litre. highest is 1.5

If you want power, and want to keep it oldschool datsun (which you do coz datsuns rock) i suggest transplanting a L-Series in to it. 16 or 18. or L20B (2litre 4 banger not the L20 2litre 6banger). its not an easy transplant but its a shit load easier than SR or CA (these cunts say to put that engine in everything) You can also source Turbo diesel stz.

Or you could go for a Z Series (L series crossflow with turbo and EFI) but its still a bit more hassle. i say L18, keep your twin 40s, new cam, port polish, you will have a flyer on your hands.

and the E Series engines out of the Sunny turbo's are crap.

what the hell is a A20????????? i never heard of them?

just have a hunt around and see which of the motors have the lowest compression and charge that. pref 9to1 and under or thereabouts

i recon it would be better/easyer to supercharge it. you could use your exsisting carbs extractors etc and run a suck-tho set-up (all depends on how much room under the hood)

but nothing beats the song of a well tuned worked na motor (espally a datto)

ask you old man what compression ratio your motor is and get bak to us :P

and the E Series engines out of the Sunny turbo's are crap.

the E series from anything are shit. I had a N13 4wd pulsar with a worked E15, port, polish, extractors etc... still fucking slow as. .. however it did *cough* 140 on the jervois rd. offramp S bend before they re did it

Wow thanks for all that info , got heaps to work ovr. The notes i'v got for that engine say the ratios getting as high as 11 to 1 which as you say is to high. I have thought about supercharging that would be the best idea coz the webers cost me ova a 1000. I'v got the poor thing over 200km and it still wantd to go but i ran outta road ,i was happy with that but it took awhile to get there. you u guys give me ur email addys i'll send u pic of it

Wow thanks for all that info , got heaps to work ovr. The notes i'v got for that engine say the ratios getting as high as 11 to 1 which as you say is to high. I have thought about supercharging that would be the best idea coz the webers cost me ova a 1000. I'v got the poor thing over 200km and it still wantd to go but i ran outta road ,i was happy with that but it took awhile to get there. you u guys give me ur email addys i'll send u pic of it

i'd say build a new low-comp motor from stratch a15 turbo and put your worked a12 in the ute... utes can get a bit hairy in the wet under boost :twisted: