Turbo Dizzy: Done!

zep

As some of you know, I was having trouble with sorting out the dizzy for my carby-turbo setup. I wanted something that would advance off boost and retard on boost, with out going electronic or anything like that. I was also advised not to lock the dizzy as it means the engine is sluggish off boost.

Anyway, here's how the problem was solved: After looking around, I found a place in Oregon called Dale Manufacturing. Dale, the owner makes vaccuum diaphragms to suit Fiat Spyders which people want to turbo.

This unit is designed to give regular advance off boost, and to retard the timing with the turbo kicks in. It gives about 15 degrees of vacuum advance and 10 degrees of pressure retard (once the car hits boost). Anyway, I ordered this diaphragm from Dale and took both that and my dizzy to The Good Ol' Boys Race Shop in Albany Auckland.

Mike from the shop took to both my dizzy and the unit, adapting both so they would fit within each other and work together. He reckons that it's going to be perfect for what i'm doing.

Here's a few pictures to show you what it looks like:

dizzy13jd.jpg

dizzy21lv.jpg

dizzy32qb.jpg

dizzy48uy.jpg

dizzy4yk.jpg

http://www.dalemfg.com

Just a get a RB dizzy or a Barina dizzy. Bit of machineing to be done You can do it all yourself if your confident with power tools. The hardest thing to do is shaving the points loebs off to a round shaft 14.2mm thick to fit the reluctor on. Should be done with a lathe but I don't have access to one so I used the side of an abrassive drop saw :? Heres a couple more pics.

reluctor9ae.jpg

dizzy8la.jpg

• 5 years later...

Holy old post. I can sell you this dizzy if you want? I no longer need it. The diaphragm was from the States, I have tried to find the site again but to no avail. This was 6 years ago! Was done at The Good Old Boys Race Shop in Albany, not sure if they still exist.