Paint Preperation

Defcon

Back after a long leave of absence, and now with a '78 coup like zep's.

The paint on her's screwed so ive sanded back the top coat and just primered over that, just a ghetto job for the time cause its getting a cheap cammo job.

Talking serious paint prep tho, as a way of cutting down the costs on a profesional job. Opinions and adive on prep, too sand the car back or too paint strip the who car back to bare metal. Paint striping her sounds easyer, but then you got to do a whole lot of body work vs the tiresome work of sanding her back but with les body work needed. Any one with experance?

Def'

no way you don't go to bare metal..... and when people do do that they either acid dip the car or blast it with media......

matt you did use etch primer didn't you? cos you must.... bog and normal paint is porus .. and sucks up water...

Well...

If you want to do it properly, sand as far as u can, there will be high and low spots, so make sure you sand it down past the majority of these, the primer should get the rest (only little ones though!)

Your best bet is to find an air compressor big enough to run an air sander, that will blast through paint EASY and QUICKLY, and will get the best results.

Once happy with that, go and grip some Primer, I really like Supercheap Autos Spray Primer/Putty.

Spray some of this on and sand it back, then spray a light coat of matt black over the most part of the car (from a can, not really a gun) and sand until you get it all off, if there are any depressions, they will stay black, as the paper couldnt get into it. This should be filled with a bit of primer, depending on size of hole, a brush will suffice.

blat some more on and sand it nice n smoove :lol:

Now it should be str8 as a die and your hell stoked with it au!

Now is where you should get some Wax and Grease remover from supercheap (Yes, I am impressed ok, leave me alone!)

and wipe that shit all over it, one panel at a time and wipe off the white dusty shit that is left - does not need to be there, may make top coat rougher than need be.

NOW THE MAKE OR BREAK BIT!! - Topcoat time baby!

Meh, dont get all uptight, its just a paint job afterall, but go it roof to sills and preferrably one panel at a time.

Let it flash off well (about 2 mins should do it, but you should be refilling the gun inbetween anyways.

If you sprayed it in Acrylic Laquer, theres a good chance that it will be rough with overspray and dust in places, but dont cry about it, grab some rubbing compound and, well rub it! The Best shit is called Green Machine, not sure who makes it, mines always been in a seperate tin, but failing that, some Simoniz rubbing compound does the job.

Now its top coat time, and unless you bought some flash stuff the same brand as your top coat, gip some Supercheap Clearcoat (shit aye, I should be getting discounts or something, plug plug plug)

*test it on the likes of a bonnet or boot lid, as some react and u sure dont wanna have the first squirt on the rear guard and have 2 sand it all back and try and match the topcoat again!

If it does not ripple, bubble or look arse, go hard and do the whole car, plenty on is better, but not too much that it looks plasticy. Remember its thinned down HEAPS so you probably wont need more than 2L.

Once dried, allow 12 hours to be fully sure, Compound that too and re assemble, you now have a kick ass P J yo :wink:

it depends how much time you want to spend on it and how you want the end result to be

I am stripping my capri back to bare metal the whole outside has been bare metaled and epoxyed now, i thought it was worth it because i thought the body was pretty good for rust until i got through the paint then hello there were some little spots of rust here and there.

Another thing to consider is how long you intend to keep the car as you dont want spend hours and hours of time (like i have) then sell the car a year or to later.

In the end it comes down to how long you want to spend doing it (money and time) and how long you intend to keep the car

If your going back to metal you dont have to acid dip or blast it with media

cheers every one. well i got bored so its priemr brown now and a shit job of it too but no worries il get round to it properly soon enough. maint problem was the guy before me ripped of the side trimmings and took of have the paint with it. so massive cravis along the side of the car.

sanding sounds like the way to go so i guess ill just stick with that.

def'