Certification?

Sc@ Chi

Okay, so I've read some of the posts here and trolled around a little. And it seems to me that no-one's bothered about having a truly legal car. I know it's expensive, and the thresholds are low but surely keeping it all legit is worthwhile.

As an example and this is only off the top of my head from a talk at the local Mini owners club from a certifier:

- 20% power increase over stock

- wheel spacers

- increase in track of 5mm

- different seats that don't use the original mounting points

- different engine

- brake modifications

- rollcage

- suspension mods

all need certifying.

Now I'm very old. Comparatively. So unless it's a small mod, I'm going to hold off all the mods to my Minis until it's worth getting it all certified. But I'm interested to hear why no-one else does or if they've had any issues with the law.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing the same. Getting all the certifiable mods done at once so I can then carry on with the rest in my own time.

Beats paying the costs to get it certed repeated times. Also beats the consequences of having the car on the road in an illegal state - cops and insurance don't look too kindly on that...

ltsa actually have the current cert requirements on their website somewhere.

Im gonna get my G/b, 2L, Wide Wheels, Flared Guards, Seat Mounts, Suspension and wallet lightening all done at once.

I was spinnin a yarn 2 the cert guy 2day n he sees no problem with what im doin, but i forgot 2 say bout the guard pumping and my theory....this being that RS2000's came out in oz as a 4dr option with a factory 2L motor, these were dead safe and identical 2 our mk2s so why do we have to cert a 2L in NZ?

Guest freedz

Lvv guys are fair enough , And its quite cheap for the certs under a grand for cars of our age if wof/rego out by 12 months and more.

Good to ask the guy who is going to be certing your car what hell be looking for and what he likes and doesnt like how he likes things done and then do the mods after so hes happy and then it usually goes smoothly.

They usually let things go through if its strong and tidy even if its done at home.

Ive had a cert for all the mods done on my previous cars eg cage ,suspension, seats,wheels and will have to get wheels, engine,suspension yada yada done on my new car it's definatly worthwhile from and insurance point of view and its good if the police pull you over to know its all legit :D

pays to get cert, I think they could be craken down on it.

me and a mate saw a guy pulling of his tints yesterday, haha

then today we found out, one of our mates who has a mint van got done as well,.....tint strip to big (theres no cert for that, but yer), no cert for lowering, few other things as well but i forgot them

Especially when you don't pass cert and then find out you'll have to spend about a grand to get your car roadworthy, let alone cert worthy, much like my friend and his mercedes. So thats 280 for original cert, then around a grand for repairs, then maybe 400-500 getting it lowered properli, then another 50 bucks for a retry at the cert.....bye bye almost 2 grand.

its just revenue gathering, sum shit is ok to get certed like an engine swap, but most of it is bullshit

wouldnt say its BS, yes, most of the time the mods are done well, by sumbody whos knows what they are doing.....i really think they are there, so when u buy a car, u get one that is actually safe, eg. Engine mounts arn't twisted, the springs are safe....and don't bottum out coz they where cut to much.

Guest WESTCORT

If the government was smart and realised ppl arent going to fork out the money to pay for certs then they would subsidise it if they were truly concerned about safety rather than our money

It's all about standards and safety.

You need someone who is impartial to have a proper look at what has been done to sign it off.

You're only cheating yourself if it's not done.

As far as the cost goes - make sure it's up to standard first. The car needs to be at minimum wof standard before you even consider taking it in for cert.

My old torana was just over 50mm off the ground, had a 2 3/4" exhaust and a race prepped 186 with triple carbs. Every mod was certified and listed on the plate. Cops always pulled me over, but could never ticket me - really pissed them off...

Don't spend all the cash modifying your car just to shortcut the last step.

If the government was smart and realised ppl arent going to fork out the money to pay for certs then they would subsidise it if they were truly concerned about safety rather than our money

The certification scheme in NZ was instigated to stop people using universal joints out of socket sets to make steering columns (a example a certifier saw recently), dropping V8s into cars with drum brakes and basically making cars unsafe, but it was all put together by the hot rod and sports car guys themselves, not the LTSA or the Police or the government. The certifiers are just making a living - nothing really goes to the govt, unlike speeding fines. Although it's over $350 to get anything certified, a scratch built car can be done for about $1100 apparently.

The limits are fairly reasonable and can be found at The LVVTA website. Things like the old chain link steering wheels: Banned not on taste reasons as I thought, but they don't deform at all, unlike your chest...

The argument about subsidising is a valid one though - why do the government charge GST on safety items? Because everything under NZ law is treated equally, from anti-cancer meds to wheelchairs to crash helmets. It's just the cost of your sport (in this case, not cancer or wheelchairs...)