Jump to content

Nominal

Members
  • Content Count

    21,186
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    178

Everything posted by Nominal

  1. Nice! We need more quality British cars around here.
  2. I relocated the shocks to the rear, above the steering, on my Mercury. There's no reason they can't be on the front side though, the lower arm moves in the same arc regardless.
  3. Going to leave the welding on the front bit until I've acquired some epoxy primer, and also finished the valence which is at the strippers. There must have been a battery incident in the past because there were some holes in the inner guard behind it. Metal is a bit thin, but I got it non-holey at least. Check out the inner guard area on the passenger side. The area between the floor and the sill wasn't so good though. So, cutting time.... I'm only going as far as necessary to remove the really bad bits. Time for some new metal now....
  4. Is that flow reversion when you rev it?
  5. Looking pretty! Can you give a summary of what products you used from Resene, also what gun you got in the end?
  6. I'm looking for a generic aluminium radiator - about 500mm wide and 400 high. Had a poke around Trademe and staparts but didn't seen anything that suitable. Bonus points if it has 39mm outlets. Anyone have a link to a good generic catalog?
  7. Attacked the spares pile. New badge, I think this is for the tailgate. Plenty of spare lights, mostly tatty though. Bits in the middle are new front suspension uprights and pins. There's a new generator armature and some gennie Lucas brushes there too. . I think I'll drop off the main part of the front valence to the dip-strip man in Tawa, as it won't ever be any easier to get it cleaned off. Also need more 18g steel - might have to order a sheet.
  8. Needed to make a mirror of this brace for the other side where it had rusted mostly away. Paper should be strong enough, right? Here's where I'm at tonight. All fits together OK. I need to flatten the front piece out a bit as it has a slight bow in it then make a hole in the rear piece for the crank start tube. New brace in the back.
  9. Made new bits for the rusty crossmember from 1.6mm steel. Missed out on borrowing the folder up at Rod Clifton's so had to do it the slow, noisy way. Chassis punches to make the hole for the crank start tube. First panel done, except for trimming. Then made the rear face. More hammering to tip the flanges.
  10. Been working on this, making plenty of noise. Cleaned up areas where the spot welded flanges go - removing spot welded joins is a drag. Replaced the rusty bit of the rail with some 2mm plate. Ground and primed.
  11. Someone should start a wagnats thread. Good work on the rust repair G.
  12. Too bad that the timesheet is from Ben's L200. Current state of play Drilling out spot welds isn't much fun. Have fixed one side rail and removed most of the valence pan remains. Can make too much noise late at night. Fine enough to unload the trailer today. The lift makes a good engine crane. Some of the spares are in cool BMC boxes
  13. Dang, I was hoping it would be faster than an HZ Police Car Might have to investigate turbo options now.
  14. Found this stuck under the back seat. Smoking pass! (Although the Ben Dude reckons its from his tow car)
  15. Thanks Albert. It's going to be a front-to-back adventure.
  16. Mercury survived a run up to Cambridge and back for the NSRA Nationals. I have mostly fixed the PS leaks with a new feed hose (thanks to Pirtek for a freebie that was much more suitable than the heater hose BNT sold me) Developed a lean backfire on acceleration while on the way to Hamilton to pick up the Oxford parts (probably a protest) which was somewhat cured by advancing the ignition timing a little bit. I need to investigate the tune-up further. Also one of the welded brackets has broken off the bellflower pipes. Towing a trailer load of B-series bits through Taihape.
  17. Crossmember full of rust and crud - and holes After hacking it out, the passenger side 'rail' needs some work. Drivers side is better, appears to have more oil leaked over it - just needs a small patch, and the corner brace is still mostly there. Need to scratch up some 2mm sheet steel for the replacement bits.
  18. Photo host is back up. The crossmember is part of assembly that includes the splash pan behind the grille. There's a lot of spot welds that are inaccessible when its all assembled, so some dismantling with cut-off wheels and cold chisels ensued. Stage one
  19. Trucked down from Hamilton by Rod Clifton, fully loaded with spare parts. I drove it home from his place up on SH1. Runs OK but I found the column shifted 4-speed "challenging" - more practice required. There are now a large amount of spares on my garage floor. We also collected the extra engine, two gear boxes, front suspension unit, towbar and some wheels this weekend while up in Cambridge for the NSRA Nats. It's pretty solid on the whole, and a first look didn't show anything too scary, except maybe that lower tailgate. Then... This is the frame crossmembe
  20. OK, so this Wagon has turned up at my place.
×
×
  • Create New...