77Magnum13hundy's 4age+t Magnum discussion

*Disclaimer - not liable for electrical shit that blows up*

Good to see you covering your ass, yeh i'l have a go... at least il be able to know if it fucks out, -- how ive always learnt :P

Any progress on yours? hows that dizzy prob lookin now?

Can i ask you - how your water system is set up as in what'd you do with the remote thermo on the gbox (fwd one)

have a look at my one below is it the same or can you see where it'd go wrong?

TB - Throttle body, blue is cold side red is hot. Pink things are the sensors

coolingsystem.jpg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dizzy problem is sorted, homemade puller bracket jig, welded a threaded rod on, some heating and just wound it out. Couple of false starts, and for some reason at one point I decided to grab something I had just welded becuase it was in the wrong alignment - ouch! - brain fail (tip: wear gloves).

Time is now my enemy - engine ready to drop in, but haven't got back into it yet.

I'll take some pics of the water system before I drop it back in. Can't recall exact pipe connection detail. I've routed my water lines round the back of the engine and put the thermostat housing on the back of the head (similar layout to FWD). It is certainly a unique setup, but doesn't look too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers bro... i will have to have a look for that sh*t i think its still here somewhere... shot.

also deciding to redo all the brake lines cos i went and got a flare kit fom supercrap auto and after a few goes got it sussed.

Had to change the booster from the OG one.... no room for my long intake manifold as is how the 4age goes.. 1.5 laser brake booster and a 1.6 telstar master cylinder (the ends (tits) come out the other side ....so had to change the ends over... i think its better to start again and then it'l be clean and new looking. Its bolted in and works a treat so now just a mattter of plumbing the lines again.

One of my wheels i got banded has a slow leak so il strip it and send it back to the guy... takes 40psi to get to 15 approx 2 weeks.... fark ....beads were ok

got a tdo4 too... still contemplating to put it on cos i would love a little bitty boost cant imagine gettin more than 7 outta it?

Any 1 know hw much the ol 4AGE can handle (3 rib) i do no that its fuck all but just thinkin if i get it certd for a turbd 4age then next one goin in 20v etc will be good ....(spent heaps on the rebuild engine already)

I confess ive done fark all lately... the weathr i shthouse and i have been gettin home when its dark so its nto a reel motivator...weekends are still good but the missus is always giving me that guilt trip....sad.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the brakes side of things and running the lines for the fuel have opted to use 8mm bundy which bends releativly easy, just need to suss out a weakish pump to fill the surge. Next is the bolt the lines up to the chassis and finish the underseal. Welding the last of the ends of the sills in too. Gasless mig was splattery but got the job done.

The other part that wasnt looked at was the trailing arm bushes, i got these rubber ones out and put some nice superpro's back in coutesy of supercheap, went on the hunt and found that autolign had none, but the would pour into existing ones with nolathane for 75 each plus gst. Teh kit to do 4 was 169. The upper arm bushes are on the way too, then its the axle end looking like steel cased ones are avail but go for 210 for 2... maybe wait on that one.

The handbrake got sorted and now the front brakes and rear brakes are done. I will have to pull gbox out and cos i left out the spigot bearing, fark, and also weld in a turbo return line for the tdo4 and the catch can.

Next will be the water system and i managed to find out how to plumb the 4age thermo stat in properly. Things are looking up for the old beast. Maybe ready for the paint again soon if and when this weather decides to sort its sht out.

yeh like candle wax... but the bushes i got ended up cheaper, 160 for the 4 bushes, found the following,

part number spf0070K trailing arm lower

spf0070-2k upper arm chassis end

spf1663k - steel cased axle end top arm bushes

quote them this stuff and theyl get them in.

or just got to

http://www.superpro.com.au/find-superpr ... Search+Now

supercheap are the stockists, its good to do this cos i aint got no pan arm rod or whatever it is and they look like they will swing out when i go to snot it mid corner...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update time:

Got the spigot bearing in.... managed to chip a small amount off the clutch but not enuff to worry about fark!, lined it up guessing where the centre should be.... and then for the turbo return tacked on a power steering feed pipe onto the sump pan, so hopefully i can run a cooler and the turbo return, maybe even catch can all back into the one line. Progress continued as a bolted the sump back on and married the gbox and engine back together, thinking it was gun be a 45 min hassle the bloody thing dropped in i wiggled it for 20 secs released it and it slid together, what a fukn dream!!! Will put the engine mounts back on today and sit it properly in but for now the hard part is over!!! ... Problem with my inlet manifold, the part i had excluded from the inlet the tvis part was vital to matching the ports i found out that when i bolted it on the top part doesnt marry up to the head at all so air leaks would be happening) took it back down to the bro to tig on some alloy for that portion and ask when the exhaust manifold would be done (tacked but needs filling up the gaps)... Bought some p clips for the steel bundy fuel lines and nylon holders for the brake lines so will be installing that this weekend.

• 2 months later...

OK so went to China for 3 weeks, havent even looked at the beast lately...

But i have done the..

Brake lines, re-done, bloody brake flaring tool was poos and wasnt working well with the steel, l learnt...get the pros to do it.

Clutch pedal installed, connected, bled it. Works. Amazing.

Driveshaft loop fitted.

Undersealed all of the car underneath. Shit job, do before you lower it in future.

Fuel lines ran to the front, clamped, plumbed into the fuel pump and return to the surge.

Things on the most recent to do list...

manifold finish, main part done... wastegate outlet to be plumbed into new dump pipe.

Fit line to fuel rail and the filter... piping to finish the fuel line completely.

Bleed brakes, then brakes done.

Oil feed and return to-from the turbo.

Work out what needs to be done to allow boost on the inlet side... Have some ideas but limits are about 5psi. enuff for me.

Rest of the exhaust...

haha surviving!!!

my missus is from there so we went to visit her olds and i wanted to see where she came from, its different as over there, like another planet. Im a 6 ft 3 tall skinny ginga so i was walking around in my shorts n tshirt towering over the masses. But really cheap shit over there, 100 china dollars is 20 bucks here and it works out real cheap. But all the while i left my car in the neighbours garage and they were moving out 5 days before i was due back... when i left so i was wondering what would happen to "my" garage and the car. It worked out fine, the new people moving in were chinese so i tried out my new lingo of 10 words on them and they were sweet. i managed to keep my car in "their" garage and the guy kept bringing me out whiskey in cups all afternoon, i got pissed quick, but i was happy cos he didnt understand a word of my english but he kinda knew what the score was haha. The situation was a bit strange but it worked out fine. Yeah so i can carry on.... WIN

• 3 weeks later...

NO CAMERA YET

Updates to last list...

Done stuff

Turbo - t peice from pressure sender with braided line for feed & Oil return to sump done.

Intercooler - fitted, 2.5 to the Throttle body.

Blow off valve to fit, piping in progress.

Dump pipe for exhaust done to gbox x-member, mint.

Not quite done

Finish brakes...

Rubber top seat boot things for the front springs 40 year old ones are naker'd as...

Buckey seats outta a celica... need to fit / make brakets for

Plumb in a vacuum / boost ref point between turb and throttle body for gauge, wastegate, blow off valve.

FPR and Gauge to fit to fuel rail.

Catch can to fit to engine bay.

Rest of the exhaust...

WIRING...

Done stuff

Turbo - t peice from pressure sender with braided line for feed & Oil return to sump done.

Intercooler - fitted, 2.5 to the Throttle body. - done

Blow off valve to fit, piping in progress. - done

Dump pipe for exhaust done to gbox x-member, mint.

Catch can to fit to engine bay. - done

FPR and Gauge to fit to fuel rail. - done

Plumb in a vacuum / boost ref point between turb and throttle body for gauge, wastegate, blow off valve.

Next on the list...

Extra support bracket for alternator via waterpump

Plumb in water system, make bracket for remote thermostat housing

Buckey seats outta a celica... need to fit / make brakets for

Rest of the exhaust...

Rubber top seat boot things for the front springs 40 year old ones are naker'd as...

Speedo cable

accelerator cable

Wiring

Stop brakes leaking?

i dunno about sleeper, i think ive gone past that point... slightly....

Paint will be the original similar to aquamarine/tourquise whatever that is... but paint can get pricey, so im looking to spend about 5-6 hundred on materials and try for the best. On one side i think canary yellow and on the other i think keep original... the only reason i say yellow is ive become accustomed to see it in yellow for the best part of 6 months and dont mind the colour it is sitting in now mustardey sort of... but yeh greenyblue is 1st choice...

Had a bit of trouble with the brake system... it leaks, old tube nuts leak, dont wanna break things by tightening too much... so ive bought new things to stop it leaking for good. I cant really see the point of half assing the brakes as i have a feeling il need them to work... So now its got new steel bundy tubes, wheel cylinders, tube nuts. WHat else could/should go wrong?. Now to take back to the brake place to reflare them on. Im hoping thats it.